Calculating Variance of Y using Poisson and Binomial Distributions

In summary, to find the variance of Y, which represents the number of pages without error among the first 112 pages, first use the Poisson distribution to calculate the probability of a page having no errors with lambda = 0.40. Then, use this probability in the Binomial distribution with n = 112 to find the variance of Y.
CryptoMath

Homework Statement

I need to find the variance of Y.

The number of errors on a page follows a Poisson distribution with lambda = 0.40 average . Y = the number of pages without error among the first 112 pages .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In Poisson, I know that Variance = lambda= 0.40
In Binomial, Variance = n*p*q
1-p = q
Do I simply do 112 x 0.4 x 0.6 to find the variance of Y? How am I supposed to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
First use the Poisson to work out the probability of a page having no errors. Then use that number in the Binomial distribution to solve the problem.

andrewkirk said:
First use the Poisson to work out the probability of a page having no errors. Then use that number in the Binomial distribution to solve the problem.
I got this resolved by doing

poissPdf(0.4,0) =p
n = 112

variance with binomial = n*p*q
and its correct answer :)

Last edited:

1. What is a binomial distribution in math?

A binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials, where there are only two possible outcomes (success or failure) and the probability of success remains constant for each trial.

2. How is a binomial distribution different from a Poisson distribution?

A binomial distribution is used when there are a fixed number of trials and a constant probability of success for each trial, while a Poisson distribution is used when there is a fixed time or space interval and the number of successes within that interval is being measured. Additionally, a binomial distribution deals with discrete data (whole numbers) while a Poisson distribution deals with continuous data.

3. What is the formula for calculating the probability of a binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating the probability of a binomial distribution is: P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the total number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success for each trial.

4. Can a binomial distribution be used to model real-life situations?

Yes, a binomial distribution can be used to model real-life situations where there are only two possible outcomes and a fixed number of trials. For example, it can be used to model the probability of flipping a coin a certain number of times and getting a certain number of heads.

5. What is the mean and variance of a Poisson distribution?

The mean and variance of a Poisson distribution are both equal to λ, the average number of occurrences in a given interval. This means that the shape of a Poisson distribution is determined solely by its mean.