Find n and K value? (sheet metal question)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the loads on a tensile test-piece of half-hard aluminium alloy are given at 4% and 8% elongation. The goal is to determine the K and n values. The speaker calculates the engineering stress and strain at both points and then attempts to calculate the n-value, but realizes they made a mistake in their calculations. The correct answer should be 0.12, according to the book.
emlekarc
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hello! Can someone please tell me where I'm messing up in this problem?

At 4% and 8% elongation, the loads on a tensile test-piece of half-hard aluminium alloy are 1.59 kN and 1.66 kN respectively. The test-piece has an initial width of 10 mm, thickness of 1.4 mm and gauge length of 50 mm. Determine the K and n values.

So, first I calculated the engineering stress at the second point:
1.66/(10*1.4) = .11857

Then the engineering strain at that point: (54-50)/50 = .08

The true stress is then: .11857(1+.08) = .128056

The true strain is then: ln(1+.08) = .07696

For for the first point, I did the same thing:
Engineering Stress: 1.59/(10*1.4) = .011357
Engineering Strain: (52-50)/50 = 0.4
True stress: .11357(1+.04) = .0118
True strain: ln(1+.04)=.03922

Then, I tried to calculate the n-value by:
ln(.128056)-ln(.0118) / ln(.07696)-ln(.03922) = 3.5371
ln(true stress)/ln(true strain)

The book says the answer is supposed to be 0.12, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your engineering stress for the first point is off by a factor of 10.

Chestermiller said:
Your engineering stress for the first point is off by a factor of 10.
Thank you! I didn't even realize I did that! I really appreciate it!

1. What is the "n" value in sheet metal?

The "n" value in sheet metal refers to the strain hardening exponent, which is a measure of how a material's strength changes as it is deformed. It is used to calculate the amount of force needed to form a certain shape in sheet metal.

2. How is the "n" value determined?

The "n" value is determined through a tensile test, where a sample of the sheet metal is pulled until it breaks. The resulting stress-strain curve is then analyzed to find the slope, which is equivalent to the "n" value.

3. What is the "K" value in sheet metal?

The "K" value in sheet metal is the strength coefficient, which is a measure of a material's strength at the beginning of the deformation process. It is used in conjunction with the "n" value to calculate the amount of force needed for sheet metal forming.

4. How is the "K" value determined?

The "K" value is also determined through a tensile test, where the yield strength of the material is measured. It is then used in the formula K = σy / εy, where σy is the yield strength and εy is the corresponding strain.

5. Why are the "n" and "K" values important in sheet metal forming?

The "n" and "K" values are important in sheet metal forming because they help determine the amount of force and energy required to deform the material into a desired shape. They also provide valuable information about the material's strength and deformation behavior, which is crucial in designing and predicting the success of sheet metal forming processes.