Find Out the Symmetry of Polonium Unit Cell

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Physicsswag
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
For inorganic chemistry, I am being asked to draw the solid state structure of polonium which i know how to do. However it asks what the symmetry of the unit cell is, and I don't know how to answer. I know what a unit cell is, I'm just not sure what the question means, or what it is looking for. Could anyone help?
Thanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This question doesn't make much sense, given that you can choose the unit cell almost arbitrarily as long as by repetitive translation, it will span the whole crystal and contain one atom. There are unit cells with a higher symmetry, specifically a cubic cell. If this cell were a molecule, you could determine it's point group. What do you find?