Solid State Palladium: 27 Atoms in a Unit Cell?

In summary, the author is trying to understand how a computational supercell of palladium can have 27 atoms when in solid state the metal should only have 4.
PHY-101
Dear all,

I am trying to reproduce the results from a paper in computational physics and it says that for their simulation, they used a computational supercell of palladium of 27 atoms in a periodic system.

How can there be 27 atoms considering that in solid state, the palladium has a fcc structure and hence, that there is supposed to be 4 atoms per unit cell?

Anyone can help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
An fcc structure has one atom per primitive unit cell, with lattice vectors a1 = a/2(1,1,0), a2 = a/2(1,0,1), a3 = a/2(0,1,1). Probably they have a 3x3x3 supercell where the lattice vectors are just 3 times those.

Hum... isn't it the simple cubic structure that contains only one atom per unit cell?

fcc, bcc and sc all have a primitive unit cell with only one atom. You're confusing the conventional cell (which has 4 atoms for fcc) as being the primitive unit cell, and often times they are different cells. The primitive cell for fcc is not cubic (look at the vectors I gave you; they are not orthogonal) but it has the same symmetry of the cubic groups, so the conventional cell is to be cubic so you can see the symmetry.

Try writing down the atomic positions in a conventional fcc unit cell, and then use the lattice vectors I gave you to locate atomic positions from the primitive cell, and you will see that you get all the same atoms either way, but for the primitive cell you have only one atom per cell.

Thank you so much, now it is crystal clear ;0)

In fact, the definition of 'primitive cell' IS one atom/lattice point.

Yeah thanks Malawi, I sort of figured that out now!

But in the paper they never mentionned a "primitive" cell, that's where I got confused. Up until now, I had only worked with conventional cells and never would have thought there could me something smaller...

1. What is solid state palladium?

Solid state palladium is a form of the chemical element palladium that exists in a solid crystalline structure. It is a transition metal with the atomic number 46 and is known for its high melting point, resistance to corrosion, and ability to absorb large amounts of hydrogen gas.

2. How many atoms are in a unit cell of solid state palladium?

There are 27 atoms in a unit cell of solid state palladium. This is because palladium has a face-centered cubic crystal structure, which contains 8 atoms at the corners of the cube, 6 atoms at the center of each face, and 3 atoms in the body center of the cube.

3. What are the properties of solid state palladium?

Solid state palladium has several notable properties, including high ductility and malleability, a white-silvery color, and a melting point of 1,554.9°C. It is also a good conductor of electricity and heat, and can absorb up to 900 times its own volume in hydrogen gas.

4. What are the uses of solid state palladium?

Solid state palladium has a variety of industrial uses, including in catalytic converters for automobiles, as a catalyst in chemical reactions, and in the production of electronics and jewelry. It is also used in dentistry as a component of dental alloys and in medicine as a component of certain drugs.

5. Is solid state palladium toxic?

No, solid state palladium is not considered toxic. It is a biocompatible material, meaning it does not cause harm or toxicity when in contact with living tissues. However, like all metals, it can be harmful if ingested in large amounts or if there is exposure to dust particles in the air during industrial processes.