Find Out Why Orientation C is Least Likely to Break Wires

  • Thread starter Thread starter c2015cg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension Wires
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
c2015cg
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Three pictures of equal weight (20 N) are hung by wires in three different orientations. In which orientation are the wires least likely to break? Orientation A: 15 degree with horizontal,Orientation B: 45 degree angle with horizontal, Orientation C: 60 angle with horizontal?

Homework Equations


No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution


I was able to answer the question correctly (orientation C), but I need more information as to why that is correct. I already said that the distance between the two wires should be smaller because it would mean less gravity and therefore less tension. What part am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
c2015cg said:

Homework Statement


Three pictures of equal weight (20 N) are hung by wires in three different orientations. In which orientation are the wires least likely to break? Orientation A: 15 degree with horizontal,Orientation B: 45 degree angle with horizontal, Orientation C: 60 angle with horizontal?

Homework Equations


No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution


I was able to answer the question correctly (orientation C), but I need more information as to why that is correct. I already said that the distance between the two wires should be smaller because it would mean less gravity and therefore less tension. What part am I missing?

What does less gravity mean? Don't all the pictures have the same weight?

Hint: think about why a wire is going to break in the first place.