1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find parametric equations for the tangent line at the point

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find parametric equations for the tangent line at the point

[tex](\cos(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) ,\sin(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) ,\frac{4 \pi}{6}) )[/tex]

on the curve

[tex]x=\cos t,\ y=\sin t, \ z=t [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Took the derivative
    r'(t)=( -sint, cost, 1)

Here's where I start to fall apart...I'm not sure what to do...but..is this close...

cos(4pi/6)= -1/2

r'(-1/2) = (-sin(-1/2), cos(-1/2), 1)

so,

x= (-1/2) + (-sin(-1/2))t
    y= (sin(4pi/6)) + (cos(-1/2)t
    z= 4pi/6 + t

So where did I go wrong? I hope I'm not that far off. If anything needs clarified, please ask.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

based on what you have said why choose the point t = -1/2? i would think t = 4.pi/6 is a better choice ;) and what the question asks for

then once you have the tangent vector r', and teh point of the curve say p, the equation o teh tangent line will be

f(s) = s.r'+p

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Thank you! I have the right answer, but I don't understand why you chose t= 4pi/6..can you explain?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

compare you original parametric equations with teh point you are asked to evaluate it at, this gives you the correct t value

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    Ohhh. Yikes, I can't believe I didn't notice that! Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook