Find Placement Vector of Ball Thrown Ballistically at Angle α from Height H

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lenjaku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Lenjaku
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



ball is thrown in angle α (balistically) from height H.
what is the placement vector in any moment?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Ok I know acceleration is:
a(t) = (0,−g)

it means the velocity is:
v(t)=(v0 cosα , v0 sinα − gt)

But the answer says the location vector is
r(t) = v0 cosαt,H + v0sinαt-(0.5gt2)/2)

shouldn't be:
r(t) = -v0 sinαt,H + v0cosαt-(0.5gt2)/2) ?

When I do it my way the other parts of the problem turns wrong since my rx got a minus ...then I get equation of the type x2=-t (for instance).

And the answer should come with tanα since my cos and sin are different I get cot...I dun get why it comes wrong since even if I mistook the minus I know for sure cos=sin and sin=>cos I can;t integrate it leaving it as it was can it be there is a problem with the answer?
They didn't say the angle was referring to speed but actually the curve the ball was thrown at... can I integrate without integrating the cos and sin?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is better to change the 'sinαt' into 'tsinα'. This makes it more clear that the angle on which the sin operates is a constant α and does not depend on time.

Note that the integration is with respect to the time t and hence the sin and cos terms are to be considered constant terms and not to be integrated.
 
Lenjaku said:

Homework Statement



ball is thrown in angle α (balistically) from height H.
what is the placement vector in any moment?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Ok I know acceleration is:
a(t) = (0,−g)

it means the velocity is:
v(t)=(v0 cosα , v0 sinα − gt)

But the answer says the location vector is
r(t) = v0 cosαt,H + v0sinαt-(0.5gt2)/2)

shouldn't be:
r(t) = -v0 sinαt,H + v0cosαt-(0.5gt2)/2)[/color] ?
Looks like in that last term you and the answer key divided by 2 once too often
When I do it my way the other parts of the problem turns wrong since my rx got a minus ...then I get equation of the type x2=-t (for instance).

And the answer should come with tanα since my cos and sin are different I get cot...I dun get why it comes wrong since even if I mistook the minus I know for sure cos=sin and sin=>cos I can;t integrate it leaving it as it was can it be there is a problem with the answer?
They didn't say the angle was referring to speed but actually the curve the ball was thrown at... can I integrate without integrating the cos and sin?
the angle alpha is the angle with the horizontal at which the ball is thrown initially. It (and it's sin or cos) is therefore a constant.
 
Thank you very much I completely missed it @.@.

Was running in circles XD

Thanks.