Find Plant Zeros: Can We Determine Stability from Output Y?

• Thread starter ohmatlab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem with finding the zeros of a plant or channel H based on only having measurement data Y as the output. They suggest using FFT to identify the zeros, but have encountered difficulties. They ask for any other ideas on how to find the zeros from the limited information.
ohmatlab
Good afternoon. I want to ask a question. If we knew the data X through the plant H, and the output is Y. All we have is measurement data Y. Can we find the zeros of the plant H from the output data Y?
Thanks and have a nice weekend.
01/09/2009

Hi! Friends, I apologize for unclear descriptive, and thanks for remind me.
I just consider a engineer design question. For a plant, if the numerator have the zeros not strictive located on the left hand side s-plane ( maybe on the right hand side s-plane or just on jw axis ), we can said this plant is non-minimum phase. And it will be unstable. Therefore, for normal situation, from the knwledge of the plant, we can define this plant is stable or not.

Now I consider another problem, sometimes we can not get the plant details. Maybe I just only get the measurement data Y. Y is the output data from unknow plant or channel " H ". I assumed the input data X through the unknown plant or channel H, and only knowkedge we have is just measurement data Y. Because we don't have any knowledge of the plant H, therefore, we can not define if this plant stable or unstable from its poles and zeros. Only information we have is just output data Y.

Now, my question is that if I only have data Y. I just knew data Y is the output from a unknow plant H. reagrding this limited information, do any betters know how to find the zeros of the plant to define the plant atable or not?

I thought one immature idea. If I " fft " the Y. Setting Yfft=fft( Y). Then I set Y1=abs(Yfft). Therefore, every value of the Y1 must be greater or equal the " 0 ". Only value=0 is when meeting the plant zeros. So I can find zeros of the plant. I tried to do this, but I meet difficulties. Do any betters have any better idea?

Thanks Brewong and Danger reply my message. Have a nice weekend.

01/10/2009

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't really understand the question. Could you be a bit more descriptive? Are you talking about a manufacturing process with its input and output?

I'm not as articulate are Brewnog, so I'm just going to say :confused:

1. What is the purpose of finding plant zeros?

The purpose of finding plant zeros is to determine the stability of a system. Plant zeros are the values of the input that cause the output to be zero, and they can affect the overall stability of the system.

2. How do we find plant zeros?

Plant zeros can be found by setting the output of the system to zero and solving for the input values. This can be done analytically using mathematical equations or numerically using computational methods.

3. Can we determine stability from output Y alone?

No, we cannot determine stability from output Y alone. While the output can provide valuable information about the behavior of the system, the input and other system parameters are also necessary to fully understand the stability of the system.

4. What factors can affect the stability of a system?

The stability of a system can be affected by various factors such as the location of the plant zeros, the gain of the system, the type of input signal, and the presence of disturbances or noise.

5. Why is stability important in system design?

Stability is important in system design because an unstable system can lead to unpredictable and potentially dangerous behavior. It is crucial to ensure that a system is stable in order to guarantee its proper functioning and performance.