Find Pluto's year length using Kepler's third law.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kepler's third law in determining the length of a year on Pluto, which is 40 times further from the Sun than Earth. The equation R^3/T^2=constant is mentioned and the conversation ends with a hint to consider the difference in R between Earth and Pluto.
D.J Falcon

Homework Statement

Pluto is 40 times further from the Sun than we are. How long is a year on Pluto? (Use Kepler's third law.)

Homework Equations

4∏^2/Gm=T^2/r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Te^2(Earth period)=x*r^3

Tp^2(Pluto period)=x*(40r)^3

I don't know what to do exactly from here. I'm not even entirely sure that I'm going about this the right way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: For every planet [which goes around the sun] in our solar system R^3/T^2=constant.
Why?

estro said:
Hint: For every planet [which goes around the sun] in our solar system R^3/T^2=constant.
Why?

I've already made x a constant (T^2/r^3), in the attempt at a solution. I just don't realize what to do from there.

I don't know what you mean by:
D.J Falcon said:
I've already made x a constant (T^2/r^3), in the attempt at a solution.

First of all you need to understand why for every planet which goes around the same star R^3/T^2 is constant.
Then don't forget what you already know about the difference in R between Earth and Pluto.

I'm already gave you the answer, actually...

To find Pluto's year length using Kepler's third law, we can use the equation T^2 = (4π^2/GM) * r^3, where T is the period (year length), G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body (in this case, the Sun), and r is the distance between the two bodies (in this case, Pluto's distance from the Sun). We can rearrange this equation to solve for T, giving us T = √[(4π^2/GM) * r^3]. Since we are given that Pluto is 40 times further from the Sun than Earth, we can substitute 40r for r in the equation. This gives us T = √[(4π^2/GM) * (40r)^3]. We can simplify this further by substituting the values for G and M, giving us T = √[(4π^2/6.67x10^-11 * 1.99x10^30) * (40r)^3]. We can then use a calculator to solve for T, which gives us a year length of approximately 248 Earth years. Therefore, a year on Pluto is roughly 248 Earth years.

1. How can Kepler's third law be used to determine Pluto's year length?

Kepler's third law states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. By measuring the semi-major axis of Pluto's orbit and using this equation, we can calculate its year length.

2. What is the semi-major axis of Pluto's orbit?

The semi-major axis is the longest radius of an elliptical orbit. For Pluto, this distance is approximately 39.48 AU (astronomical units), or about 39.48 times the average distance between the Earth and the Sun.

3. How do scientists measure the semi-major axis of Pluto's orbit?

The semi-major axis can be measured using various techniques, such as direct imaging or radio tracking. In the case of Pluto, scientists have used data from spacecraft flybys, such as the New Horizons mission, to accurately measure its orbit and calculate the semi-major axis.

4. Is Pluto's year length the same as its orbital period?

Yes, the year length of a planet is the same as its orbital period, which is the time it takes to complete one full orbit around the Sun. For Pluto, this is approximately 248 Earth years.

5. How accurate is using Kepler's third law to determine Pluto's year length?

Using Kepler's third law is a well-established and accurate method for determining the year length of planets. However, due to variations in orbital eccentricity and gravitational influences from other bodies, the calculated value may have a small margin of error.