Calculating Angular Diameter of an Orbit Using Kepler's Law

In summary, the speaker is confused about the question and the use of Kepler's law. They have the distance to the center of the galaxy (d) and the angular diameter (arctan(2R/d)) but are unsure of how to use these values to find the period of orbit. They also mention needing the radius of the black hole, but are corrected that they actually need the radius of the orbit (R). Once they have calculated R using the given values, they can then find the angular diameter.
Kynsuo
Homework Statement
A star orbits a black hole at the centre of a galaxy. Assuming these orbits are circular and that the distance to the centre of the galaxy is ##d##, find the angular diameter of an orbit who's period is ##T##.
Relevant Equations
I have the radius of the black hole ##R##, the mass of the black hole ##M##.
I am confused because the question implies that I need to do some sort of calculation with Kepler's law. I got
##r+d = \sqrt[3]{\frac{T^2 GM}{4 \pi^2} } ##

But don't understand why I need this, since I already have the distance and the angular diameter should be ##\arctan (2R/d)## I think I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kynsuo said:
But don't understand why I need this, since I already have the distance and the angular diameter should be ##\arctan (2R/d)## I think I am missing something.
You need the radius of the orbit, not the radius of the black hole.

Doc Al said:
You need the radius of the orbit, not the radius of the black hole.
Thanks DocAI. I am given the distance to the centre of the galaxy which is ##d##, I'm assuming that this is the radius of the orbit. I'm confused what this has to do with the period of orbit. Also, don't I need the radius of the black hole to take the ratio of the radius of the black hole to the radius of orbit in order to find the angular diameter?

Kynsuo said:
I am given the distance to the centre of the galaxy which is d, I'm assuming that this is the radius of the orbit.
No. d is the distance that the star & black hole system is from you, not the radius of the orbit of the star around the black hole.
Kynsuo said:
I'm confused what this has to do with the period of orbit.
The distance d has nothing to do with the period of the orbit.
Kynsuo said:
Also, don't I need the radius of the black hole to take the ratio of the radius of the black hole to the radius of orbit in order to find the angular diameter?
Think of it this way. You are observing, from a distance "d", a star orbiting a black hole. How big the orbit appears to you -- its angular diameter -- depends upon the size of the orbit (the diameter of the orbit) and how far away it is (the distance "d"). The first step is to calculate, using the given information, the size of the orbit. Only then can you worry about the angular diameter.

Thanks! This is what I was missing. Using the ##T##, ##G## and ##M##, I can find and expression for ##R##, the radius of orbit. Then once I have the orbit I can find the angular diameter. Thanks.

1. What is the angular diameter of an orbit?

The angular diameter of an orbit is the apparent size of an orbit when viewed from a specific point of observation. It is measured in degrees, arcminutes, or arcseconds and represents the angle between two imaginary lines drawn from the observer's eye to the outer edges of the orbit.

2. How is the angular diameter of an orbit calculated?

The angular diameter of an orbit is calculated using the formula: Angular Diameter = Diameter of orbit / Distance from observer to orbit. The diameter of the orbit can be measured in kilometers or any other unit of length, while the distance from the observer to the orbit is usually measured in astronomical units (AU).

3. Why is the angular diameter of an orbit important?

The angular diameter of an orbit is important because it helps us understand the size and distance of celestial objects. By measuring the angular diameter of an orbit, we can determine the actual size of the orbit and its distance from Earth. This information is crucial for studying and mapping the universe.

4. Can the angular diameter of an orbit change?

Yes, the angular diameter of an orbit can change due to various factors such as the elliptical shape of the orbit, the position of the observer, and the relative positions of the orbit and the observer. For example, when an orbit is at its closest distance to Earth, its angular diameter will appear larger than when it is at its farthest distance.

5. How does the angular diameter of an orbit affect its visibility?

The angular diameter of an orbit can affect its visibility as it determines how large the orbit appears to the observer. A larger angular diameter means that the orbit will appear bigger and brighter, making it easier to observe. On the other hand, a smaller angular diameter may make the orbit more difficult to see, especially if it is very far from Earth.