Find power series if you know its laplace transformation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
skrat
Messages
740
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


a) Determine power series ##\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }a_nt^n## if you know that its laplace transformation is ##-s^{-1}e^{-s^{-1}}##
b) Determine function ##g## that this power series will be equal to ##J_0(g(t))##

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Hmmm, I am having some troubles with this laplace transformation in part a).

Well, I know that Laplace transformation of Heaviside function ##H_C(t)## is ##\frac{1}{s}e^{-Cs}##

Knowing this I get almost the same as the problem says: ##-H_1## ---> ##-\frac{1}{s}e^{-s}##. But I have absolutely NO idea what to do to get ##\frac{1}{s}## in the exponent function. If I just power both sides of the equation everything else collapses...

So how can I deal with this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the exponential as a series then invert the transform term by term.
 
Hmmmm...

##-\frac{1}{s}e^{-1/s}=-\frac{1}{s}(1-\frac{1}{s}+\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{s})^2-\frac{1}{3}(\frac{1}{s})^3+\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{s})^4- ...)=-\frac{1}{s}+(\frac{1}{s})^2-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{s})^3+\frac{1}{3}(\frac{1}{s})^4-\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{s})^5+ ...##

Using inverse Laplace transformation gives me:

##-1+t-\frac{1}{4}t^2+\frac{1}{18}t^3-\frac{1}{96}t^4+\frac{1}{600}t^5-\frac{1}{4320}t^6+...##

BUT I can't fine a way to include that -1 into series:

##-1+\sum _{k=1}^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{(k+1)!-k!}t^k##
 
You didn't expand the exponential function correctly. It should be n! in the denominator, not n.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
uh, jup, you are right.

The result is ##\sum _{k=0}^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{(k!)^2}t^k##.

Thank you, vela!