1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Fluid Mechanics-differential manometer question. Please

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    Simple Fluid Mechanics-differential manometer question. Please :)

Can someone please help me on this differential manometer question??

Let me retype the question because my handwriting is sloppy. "The manometer fluid in the manometer has specific gravity of 3.46. Pipes A and B both have water. If pressure in A is decreased by 1.3psi and pressure in B increases by 0.9psi, determine the differential.
    Gamma(water) = 62.4 lb/ft^3
    SG*Gamma(water)=Gamma(gage fluid)=(3.46)*(62.4lb/ft^3)=215.904lb/ft^3

I scanned what I did. I tried a few other methods but they were borderline retarded and didnt make sense so I didnt bother attaching them.

Please help!

Oh the answer is 4.06ft. The best I can muster is 4.5641ft.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Your first equation of the Pressube in B is correct with respect to pressure in A, if the heights are correct (i don't know because you used variables not defined anywhere). Also, this equation do not represente the increase you forgot to add 0.9 to Pb and subract 1.3 to Pa.
  4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    cool thanks bro :) :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?