Finding Approximate Solutions using the Runge-Kutta Method

In summary, the Runge-Kutta method is used to approximate the solution of the initial-value problem y'+(x^2)y=sin xy, y(1)=pi; h=0.2 at the points xi=x0+ih, where x0 is the point where the initial condition is imposed and I=1, 2. The book's solution uses a more accurate method than RK2 with step size 0.2, while my solution uses RK2 with step size 0.1.
Math10

Homework Statement

Use the Runge-Kutta method to find approximate values of the solution of the initial-value problem y'+(x^2)y=sin xy, y(1)=pi; h=0.2 at the points xi=x0+ih, where x0 is the point where the initial condition is imposed and I=1, 2.

Homework Equations

yn+1=yn+hf(xn+1/2h, yn+(1/2)hf(xn, yn))
f(x, y)=sin xy-(x^2)y
h=0.2, x0=1, y0=pi.

The Attempt at a Solution

y1=pi+0.2f(1+0.1, pi+0.1f(1, pi))
=pi+0.2f(1.1, 2.83291)
=2.4669

y2=2.4669+0.2f(1.3, 2.4669+0.1f(1.2, 2.4669))
=2.4669+0.2f(1.3, 2.11683)
=1.76101

But the answer is:
y1=2.475605264, y2=1.825992433.
I got y1=2.4669 and y2=1.76101.
Which is the correct answer? Mine or the book's answer? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Use the Runge-Kutta method to find approximate values of the solution of the initial-value problem y'+(x^2)y=sin xy, y(1)=pi; h=0.2 at the points xi=x0+ih, where x0 is the point where the initial condition is imposed and I=1, 2.

Homework Equations

yn+1=yn+hf(xn+1/2h, yn+(1/2)hf(xn, yn))

Does that formula mean$$y_{n+1} = y_n + hf(x_n + \frac h 2,y_n + \frac h 2f(x_n,y_n))\text{?}$$

Using RK2 and OpenOffice Calc, I get y1=2.4636, y2 =1.8181, which are closer to your answers than to the book's.
However, if I cut the step size to 0.1 and, correspondingly, look at y2, y4 I get nearly the book answers: 2.4734, 1.8247.
This suggests the book is using a more accurate method than RK2 with step size 0.2 Maybe it uses RK4 with step size 0.2 - I haven't tried that.

@LCKurtz , yes, that's the right formula that I'm using.

LCKurtz said:
Does that formula mean$$y_{n+1} = y_n + hf(x_n + \frac h 2,y_n + \frac h 2f(x_n,y_n))\text{?}$$

Math10 said:
@LCKurtz , yes, that's the right formula that I'm using.

OK. I put that formula in Maple and I get: ##(x_1,y_1)= (1.2, 2.463635926),~(x_2,y_2) = (1.4, 1.818074242)## which agree with Haruspex's results.

Likes Math10
So which answer is right? The book's answer or yours?

By the way, do I need to set the mode to radians or degrees on my calc?

What's RK2 and RK4?

All I can tell you for sure, is that using the formula you gave us, both Haruspex and I get identical answers independently. I doubt we are both wrong. And, speaking for myself, I am assuming the formula you gave is the appropriate one. If it isn't, all bets are off.

Likes Math10
Math10 said:
By the way, do I need to set the mode to radians or degrees on my calc?
Radians, of course!

Likes Math10
LCKurtz said:
I am assuming the formula you gave is the appropriate one
It is RK2.

Likes Math10
Thank you guys for the help!

1. Can you explain why my results are different from what I expected?

This is a common question when asking someone to check your work. It is important to provide details about your experiment or project so the person can accurately assess and explain any discrepancies. Additionally, it may be helpful to double-check your methods and calculations to see if there were any errors that could have caused the unexpected results.

2. Is my data and analysis accurate and reliable?

When asking someone to check your work, it is important to make sure your data and analysis are accurate and reliable. This means providing clear and organized data, as well as thorough and logical analysis. If you have any concerns about the accuracy or reliability of your work, it is helpful to mention them so the person can pay extra attention to those areas.

3. Are my conclusions and interpretations valid?

Asking for feedback on your conclusions and interpretations is crucial in ensuring the validity of your work. It is important to provide clear and concise explanations for your conclusions and to support them with evidence from your data and analysis. If there are any gaps or inconsistencies in your reasoning, the person checking your work can help identify and address them.

4. Did I follow the correct scientific method?

The scientific method is a standardized process for conducting experiments and research. If you are unsure if you followed the correct steps, it is important to ask for clarification and guidance. This will help ensure that your work is reliable and can be replicated by others in the scientific community.

5. Are there any areas that need improvement or further investigation?

Receiving constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement is essential for growth and progress as a scientist. When asking someone to check your work, it is important to be open to feedback and to ask for suggestions on how to improve your methods, data, analysis, or conclusions. This will help strengthen your work and make it more impactful in the scientific community.