Find Sol for ODE dy/dx=(x+y+2)^2

• Thread starter 1s1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode sol
In summary, the problem of finding the general solution for $$\frac{dy}{dx}=(x+y+3)^{2}$$ can be solved by using the substitution ##u=x+y+3##, which leads to a separable equation that can be easily solved. The choice of substitution is similar to that used in integration by substitution and experience in choosing the right substitution can be developed through practice.
1s1

Homework Statement

Find the general solution:
$$\frac{dy}{dx}=(x+y+3)^{2}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Methods I have learned: separation of variables, integrating factor for linear equations, exact equations, and substitution. I don't even know where to begin on this one. It has a ##y^{2}## term so it isn't linear; it isn't an exact equation; so there must be a substution. But it doesn't look anything like the substitution problems I've done. I expanded it, but that just seems to make it really long. Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously the difficulty is that we have ##x+y## appearing in the power on the RHS, so an obvious choice of substitution would involve this combination. Try ##u=x+y+3##. Since this is linear, ##dy/dx## and ##du/dx## are simply related.

Thanks! Clearly, I don't understand how substitution works ... yet.

The only substitution we've learned so far is for Bernoulli's Equation, ##\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=f(x)y^{n}##

Where the substitution is ##u=y^{1-n}##

I'll run ##u=x+y+3## through and I should get a linear equation like you said.

Sorry for the newbie ODE question.

1s1 said:
Thanks! Clearly, I don't understand how substitution works ... yet.

The only substitution we've learned so far is for Bernoulli's Equation, ##\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=f(x)y^{n}##

Where the substitution is ##u=y^{1-n}##

I'll run ##u=x+y+3## through and I should get a linear equation like you said.

Sorry for the newbie ODE question.

Very often substitution involves trial and error, using experience to suggest promising approaches.

After the substitution the equation is still not linear (it involves ##u^##), but it is separable, which allows us to easily solve it.

Likes 1 person
Making the suggested substitution: ##u=x+y+3## and using:
$$\int \frac{1}{a^{2}+u^{2}}du=\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}\frac{u}{a}+C$$
$$x=tan^{-1}(x+y+3)+C$$

The choice of substitution in this case seems similar to what you would choose when doing integration by substitution, so hopefully that will be a trend and will make picking the stubstution easier. I suppose practicing with different types of substitutions also develops experience on likely beneficial substitutions. It also seems appropriate to choose ##u## so that ##x## and ##y## are simply related. Thanks again fzero!

1. What is the meaning of ODE in this equation?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equation. It is a type of mathematical equation that involves derivatives of an unknown function with respect to one or more independent variables.

2. What is the goal of finding sol for this ODE?

The goal of finding sol for this ODE is to determine the function y(x) that satisfies the given equation. This allows us to understand the behavior of the system described by the equation and make predictions about its future behavior.

3. How do you solve this ODE?

This ODE can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in the solution?

The constant of integration is a term that is added to the solution of an ODE because the derivative of a constant is always zero. Its value is determined by the initial conditions of the system and can affect the behavior of the solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of this type of ODE?

This type of ODE can be used to model various physical systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It is also commonly used in engineering and economics to predict the behavior of complex systems.