Material to withstand 200°C with low noise in mesh contact

  • Thread starter Thread starter Murali_1972
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Material
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Murali_1972
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest a raw material that has the properties similar to steel and produce less noise when meshing with other part. I thought of polymers like Cast nylon, HDPE etc, but the issue is, it has to withstand a temp of around 200°C, during working condition.

Thanks,
r.murali
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by properties similar to steel, as polymers are in no way similar to steel. Especially Nylon, the very best Nylon I've seen has a Moly filled that has about 0.25- 0.3 the tensile strength of mild steel.

What application is this for? Why do yo want 'less noise'? What is causing the noise?

I assume this is a gear as you use the word mesh. If it's gears a redesgin of how the teeth engage is more likely to solve noise problems.