Find Sum of Series Using Power Series

In summary, the homework statement is asking for a sum of a power series with terms 1/(1+x), where x goes from 0 to infinity. Differentiating both sides, one finds that the sum of the series is 1 - 1/4 + 1/16 - 1/64.
Rapier

Homework Statement

Find the sum of sigma (n=1 to infinity) (-1)^(n-1) * [n/(4^(n-1))] using the power series 1/(1+x) = sigma (n=0 to infinity) (-1)^n * x^n.

Homework Equations

1/(1+x) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + x^4 + ... + (-1)^n * x^n

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem suggested to differentiate both sides and then substitute 1/4 for x.

I am totally confused and don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how to differentiate right:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{1+x}=-\frac{1}{(1+x)^{2}}
[/tex]
I am sure you know how to differentiate [itex]x^{n}[/itex], what do you get if you do this?

hunt_mat said:
You know how to differentiate right:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{1+x}=-\frac{1}{(1+x)^{2}}
[/tex]
I am sure you know how to differentiate [itex]x^{n}[/itex], what do you get if you do this?

d/dx (x^n) = n * x^(n-1)

Right, so if you differentiate the series term by term (which you're allowed to do as long as you're within the radius of convergence), what do you get?

hunt_mat said:
Right, so if you differentiate the series term by term (which you're allowed to do as long as you're within the radius of convergence), what do you get?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Which series?

Maybe I'm just not understanding the original question.

1/(1+x) can be rewritten as sum (n=0 to infinity) of (-1)^n * x^n.

I believe the question is asking me to take the sum (n=1 to infinity) of (-1)^(n-1) * n/4^(n-1) and come up with a small simple equation to determine its sum using the pattern of 1/1+x as a template. Yes?

I know that if I take x^n and differentiate it I get n/x^n-1, which looks exactly like my n/4^(n-1). Does that mean that the sum of my series is nothing more than 1 - 1/4 + 1/16 - 1/64? Do I need to make an adjustment to my n values because my sum starts @1 and the original starts @0?

Differentiating the series:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}x^{n}
[/tex]
is
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}nx^{n-1}
[/tex]
Now what is the above equal to? (hint, we have derived it before)

Rapier said:

Homework Equations

1/(1+x) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + x^4 + ... + (-1)^n * x^n

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem suggested to differentiate both sides and then substitute 1/4 for x.

I am totally confused and don't even know where to begin.
Do exactly what was suggested. What do you get if you differentiate the lefthand side? What do you get if you differentiate the righthand side? Then plug in x=1/4. What do you get? How is it related to the original question?

hunt_mat said:
Differentiating the series:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}x^{n}
[/tex]
is
[tex]
[/tex]
Now what is the above equal to? (hint, we have derived it before)

Since I differentiated the right side, I have to differentiate the left side, neh?

So that will equal -1/(1+x)^2?

I'm trying not to feel really stupid, and I'm just so frustrated. I greatly appreciate all your help.

EDIT: When you differentiate do you change the starting value for n? Since I'm not differentiating n (-1)^n stays (-1)^n, shouldn't it?

EDIT EDIT: Sum = - 16/25?

Last edited:
Correct, now following your suggestion, set x=1/4, what will the series look like?

hunt_mat said:
Correct, now following your suggestion, set x=1/4, what will the series look like?

This is my differentiation:
[tex]
[/tex]

The series was listed as:
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n-1}nx^{n-1}
[/tex]

Does the exponent on the (-1) change when differentiated?

But to answer your question, the series should be:

1 -1/2 + 3/16 - 1/16 + ...

The idea here us to note that [itex](-1)^{n-1}=(-1)^{n+1}[/itex] and you have a minus coming from the LHS.

hunt_mat said:
The idea here us to note that [itex](-1)^{n-1}=(-1)^{n+1}[/itex] and you have a minus coming from the LHS.

OH! I see that! If I divide (-1)^n by -1, I get (-1)^n-1. DUH!

That is how it comes up with being 1/(1+x)^2.

That makes sense.

So, now you can tell us what the sum of the series is?

hunt_mat said:
so, now you can tell us what the sum of the series is?

16/25!

Well done!

hunt_mat said:
Well done!

Thank you SO much for your patience and help. Not only did I understand what I did I can do it on other problems!

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑an(x-c)n, where an represents the coefficients, x is the variable, and c is the center of the series. It is used to represent a function as a sum of infinitely many terms.

How do you find the sum of a power series?

The sum of a power series can be found by substituting the value of x into the series and simplifying. If the series converges, then this calculated sum will be equal to the actual value of the function at that point.

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series converges. It is represented by the variable R and can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

Can a power series be used to represent any function?

No, not all functions can be represented by a power series. The function must be infinitely differentiable and have a finite radius of convergence for it to be represented by a power series.

How is a power series used in calculus and real analysis?

Power series are used in calculus and real analysis to approximate functions and to find solutions to differential equations. They are also used in Taylor and Maclaurin series to find the derivatives of functions.