1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Tangential Component of Acceleration and Curvature

1. Jan 25, 2016 #1

CGI

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-1-25_12-12-24.png

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the tangential accel is v = wr
    and that Centripetal = v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    For A, I thought it would be straight forward if I had the radius as well as omega. I know that the distance
    between A and B is 60in, but I don't think it would be safe to assume that r = 60 or half of that would it?
    For B, I'm not quite sure how to go about it unfortunately :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that you wrote an equation for speed and claimed that it is an equation for tangential acceleration.

For part (a) you need to know the relationship between the tangential component of acceleration and how the speed is changing.

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3

CGI

Oh wow I read that wrong. That was the tangential speed. Not acceleration.

Hmm.. Okay. Well I know that at B, the velocity was only half of A's.

I think Tangential Acceleration is the change in speed of a particle so in this case, 1/2..

Is that correct?

5. Jan 25, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tangential acceleration is not the change in speed. It is the rate at which the speed is changing.

As far as tangential acceleration is concerned, it makes no difference whether the road is sinuous or straight. Thus, if you imagined the curvy road straightened out to a make a straight line, the change in speed from one end to the other would be the same if the tangential acceleration on the curvy road is the same as the acceleration along the straight line. Thus, you can use what you know about one-dimensional kinematics to help you solve part (a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted