Tension in cables supporting two hanging signs (13 kg and 4 kg)

  • Thread starter Thread starter awesome_irl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cables Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
awesome_irl
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The big sign below (see attached image) is 13 kg and the small sign is 4 kg. Find the tension in all 4 cables.

Homework Equations


Fnet= Fa +Fb

The Attempt at a Solution


ƩFx= T2cos38 - T1cos51=0
T2=T1cos51/cos38
ƩFy=T1sin51 + (T1cos51/cos38)sin38 - 127.4 -39.2 = 0
T1=131.303
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 722
Physics news on Phys.org


Your T2 is correct.

T3 = T4 = 2g

Fy: T1sin51 + T2sin38 = 17g

this is because the only forces opposing the vertical components of the tensions are the weight of the 13kg and 4kg masses. So the only thing opposing the vertical components of the tension is a combined weight of 17kg which is 17g.
 
Last edited:


Thanks!
Oh! And merry christmas
 
Last edited:


Hi, I've updated the post above, which might me helpful to you.
 


But the forces are in equilibrium and there is no acceleration so how can there be 17g? And won't the opposing forces be the weights, not the masses?
 


Just wondering...was my first attempt correct (my physics teacher posted the answer and her t1 was 131.18 N)
I know I sound paranoid but still... -_-
 


@ phizkid the "13 g" doesn't denote the mass, I think you mistook the g as a gram rather than the acceleration of gravity. Yoy're correct in mentioning that the system is motionless so that's why the net force is 0 for both the x and y components.
 


"g" is not grams in this case, it is 9.8 m/s2. So by 17g I meant 17 x 9.8m/s2.