Find the 50th derivative of the function

In summary, the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth derivatives of the function y = sin 3x are cos 3x, -3sin 3x, -9cos 3x, 27sin 3x, and 81cos 3x respectively. To find the 50th derivative, a rule can be used where the coefficient alternates between positive and negative, and the exponent of a is equal to n/2.
Mathysics

Homework Statement

Find the first, second, third, fourth, fifth derivatives of the function y = sin 3x.

Find a rule that can help to find the 50th derivative of the function.

It's urgent!

Homework Equations

y= sin x y= cos x
y' = cos x y' = -sin x

y= sin ax y= cos ax
y' = a sin cos ax y' = -a sin ax

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to the question: y = -a^n sin ax for even
y = a^n cos ax for odd

Plz show steps so that i can follow, cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

sorry it should be the 50th derivative

Mathysics said:

Homework Statement

Find the first, second, third, fourth, fifth derivatives of the function y = sin 3x.

Find a rule that can help to find the 50th derivative of the function.

It's urgent!

Homework Equations

y= sin x y= cos x
y' = cos x y' = -sin x

y= sin ax y= cos ax
y' = a sin cos ax y' = -a sin ax

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to the question: y = -a^n sin ax for even
y = a^n cos ax for odd

Plz show steps so that i can follow, cheers
this to me is like a "puzle"; like the problem "find i^15" you find a pattern w/o having to go the whole way. Same here.

So you see the FIRST diff is pos and has the coeff of 3^1 and has "cos" in it
The SECOND diff is neg, coeff is 3^2 and has "sin" in it
The THIRD is neg, coeff is 3^3 and has "cos" in it
The FOURTH is pos, coeff is 3^4 and has "sin" in it..... ummmmm, can you see what the FORTY EIGHTH is now? then so easy to go to the 49th and 50th from there.

Trying hard NOT to give you the ANSWER... AND... apologies if my differentiation is wrong... I'm giving you a pattern to go by... I think diff of sin3x is 3cos3x and then diff of cos3s is -3sin3x? if wrong, FIX that part... I'm trying to show you a PATTERN.

Good luck,

LarryR : )

i know it now...

is (-1)^n/2 x a^n cos ax (for even)

thx for the help :)

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of a tangent line to the function at a specific point.

2. How do you find the 50th derivative of a function?

To find the 50th derivative of a function, you would use the power rule and the chain rule repeatedly until you have taken the derivative 50 times. This process can be time-consuming and complex, so it is often done using computer algebra systems.

3. What is the significance of the 50th derivative of a function?

The 50th derivative of a function can provide information about the behavior and properties of the function, such as the rate of change, curvature, and inflection points. It can also be used to find the Taylor series of a function, which is a representation of the function as an infinite sum of derivatives.

4. Is it necessary to find the 50th derivative of a function?

In most cases, finding the 50th derivative of a function is not necessary. It is usually only done for theoretical or mathematical purposes and does not have practical applications. However, it can provide insight into the behavior of a function at a specific point.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding the 50th derivative of a function?

There are no shortcuts or tricks to finding the 50th derivative of a function. It requires a thorough understanding of the power rule, chain rule, and other derivative rules, as well as patience and practice. As mentioned earlier, computer algebra systems can also be used to find the derivative efficiently.