Find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420

In summary, to find the angular separation of two rays of light with wavelengths of 650 nm and 420 nm, both normally incident on a grating with 5000 slits/cm, you need to use the formula d*sin(theta) = m*lambda to find the angles in degrees for each light ray. Then, subtract the two angles to find the angular separation.
ahazen
Two rays of light of wavelength 650 nm and 420 nm are normally incident on a different grating. If the grating has 5000 slits/cm, what is the angular separation of of the two light rays' second order maximum.

-Need to find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420

I know I need to use the formula d*sin(theta) = m*lambda to find each of the angles in degrees -- then subtract

Please help me:):)

Thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org

ahazen said:
I know I need to use the formula d*sin(theta) = m*lambda to find each of the angles in degrees -- then subtract
Yes, exactly. What is it that you don't understand? Just plug in the values for d, m, and λ to figure out what θ is.

oh, ok:) it makes sense now:) thank you:)

1. What is the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420?

The absolute value of theta 650-theta 420 is 230.

2. Why do we need to find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420?

Finding the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420 helps us determine the distance between the two angles on a number line or coordinate plane.

3. How do you find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420?

To find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420, we simply subtract 420 from 650 and then take the absolute value of the difference. This will give us the positive distance between the two angles.

4. Can the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420 be a negative number?

No, the absolute value of a number is always positive. In this case, it represents the distance between the two angles and distance cannot be negative.

5. What is the significance of finding the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420 in mathematics?

The absolute value of theta 650-theta 420 is a helpful concept in many areas of mathematics, such as geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It allows us to measure distances and differences between numbers without worrying about negative values.