Find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ahazen
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Two rays of light of wavelength 650 nm and 420 nm are normally incident on a different grating. If the grating has 5000 slits/cm, what is the angular separation of of the two light rays' second order maximum.

-Need to find the absolute value of theta 650-theta 420

I know I need to use the formula d*sin(theta) = m*lambda to find each of the angles in degrees -- then subtract

Please help me:):)

Thank you:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org


ahazen said:
I know I need to use the formula d*sin(theta) = m*lambda to find each of the angles in degrees -- then subtract
Yes, exactly. What is it that you don't understand? Just plug in the values for d, m, and λ to figure out what θ is.