1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a value of theta for which a tangent line is horizontal

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the smallest positive value for `theta` for which the tangent line to the curve `r = 6 e^(0.4 theta)` is horizontal

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use the (r'sin(theta)+rcos(theta))/(r'cos(theta) - rsin(theta)) formula to get the tangent line, which I got to be...

divided by

And then find the theta that would make this equation 0, got pi/2, but the answer is 1.95130270391. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Just a quick observation, but all of the 6e^(.4x)'s will cancel out leaving .4*sin(x)+cos(x) on top and .4cos(x) - sin(x) at the bottom.
  4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Hokay, what I did to solve this was find y as a function of [tex]\vartheta[/tex], then differentiate with respect to [tex]\vartheta[/tex], and set equal to 0, then solve for [tex]\vartheta[/tex].

so you have r = 6e^(0.4[tex]\vartheta[/tex])

and y = rsin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

so y = 6sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])e^(0.4[tex]\vartheta[/tex])

dy/d[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 6cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])e^(0.4[tex]\vartheta[/tex]) + 2.4sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])e^(0.4[tex]\vartheta[/tex])

= 0

factor out the exponential term.

The exponential term cannot be equal to 0 so divide it out.

Now you have

6cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) + 2.4sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = 0

since sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = 1 - cos^2([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

you get the quadratic

-2.4cos^2([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) + 6cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) + 2.4 = 0

solving you get

cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = -0.3508 or 2.851

2.851 is not in the range of cos (wtf?)

-0.3508 is, so take the arccosine of that.

you get [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 1.93 + N2[tex]\pi[/tex] where N is an integer

Although my answer is off by 2 hundredths of what you say it is.... how did you come up with 1.95?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?