1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find The Angle of The Electron; Motion of Charges

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    At what angle will the electrons leave the uniform electric field at the end of the parallel plates? Assume the plates are 4.9 cm long and E = 5.0 x 10^3 N/C.

*The answer to this question is -23 degrees.

So far what I have tried to do is find the position of the electron on the y-axis and then take the tangent of the x&y values. My answers so far have been off. The closest I've gotten so far is -12 degrees.

This is the equation I used:

y = [(qE) / (2m(V)^2)] * (x)^2

q= -1.6x10^-19 C
    m= 9.1x10^-31 kg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's start again from the beginning.

What are the forces acting on the electron? Can you therefore determine the acceleration of the electron?

*Clarification: Does the question mention the orientation of the field/plates? Is the electric field directed vertically upwards/downwards or horizontally for example?

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    Yeah, the orientation of the plates is negative on bottom and positive on top.

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?