Finding the Electric Field of a Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, an electron is launched at a 45∘ angle and a speed of Vo = 5.0×10^6 m/s from the positive plate of a parallel-plate capacitor. Using the equations F=ma=qE, v=d/t, and s=vt -(1/2)at^2, the electron is found to land 4.0 cm away from the negative plate. To solve for E, the equation E=(m*Vo^2)/(q*x) is used, where m=9.11*10^-31 kg, q=1.6*10^-19 C, Vo=5.0×10^6 m/s, and x=0.04 m.
arileah

Homework Statement

An electron is launched at a 45∘ angle and a speed of Vo = 5.0×10^6 m/s from the positive plate of the parallel-plate capacitor towards the negative plate. The electron lands 4.0 cm away.

Homework Equations

F = ma = qE

v = d/t

s = vt -(1/2)at^2

x = 0.04 m

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
We can find t by using trigonometry:

t = x/(cos45)

yf - yi = 0 = Vo * sin(45) * t - (1/2)at^2

Vo*sin(45) = (1/2)at

using F = ma = qE,

a = qE/m

so,

Vo*sin(45) = t * qE/(2m)

and using t =x/cos(45)

Solving for E,

E = (2m * Vo * sin(45) * cos(45))/(qx)

but cos(45)*sin(45) = 1/2

Therefore,

E = (Vo * m)/(q*x)

At this point I plug in my constants:

Vo = 5*10^6 m/s
m = 9.11 * 10^-31
q = 1.6 * 10^-19
x = 0.04

However I am getting a wrong answer. Could anybody point out where it is I've gone wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
arileah said:
t = x/(cos45)
Seems strange. Doesn't have the same dimensions left and right ...:rolleyes:

I think your error is the equation t=x/cos(45). It needs a ## v_o ## in it.

Charles Link said:
I think your error is the equation t=x/cos(45). It needs a ## v_o ## in it.

Of course -_- . Thanks! Silly mistake.

For anyone else who wants to use this thread:

My mistake was writing t=x/cos(45) instead of t=x/(cos(45)*Vo)

The end formula would then be:

E = (m* Vo^2)/(q*x)

Likes Charles Link and BvU

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electrical component that consists of two parallel conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the plates.

2. How do you find the electric field of a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the charge on one of the plates by the distance between the plates. This can be represented by the equation E = Q/d, where E is the electric field, Q is the charge, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the electric field of a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material between the plates. It is also affected by the voltage applied to the plates, as well as the size and shape of the plates.

4. How does the electric field change when the distance between the plates is increased?

As the distance between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is increased, the electric field decreases. This is because the distance is directly proportional to the electric field, as shown by the equation E = Q/d. Therefore, as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

5. Can the electric field of a parallel plate capacitor be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a parallel plate capacitor can be negative. This can occur if the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the charged particles. It can also be negative if the plates have opposite charges.