Angle of deflection of electron

In summary, we have 2 parallel plates in a vacuum, with one positively charged and the other negatively charged. An electron is projected horizontally between the plates with an initial velocity of 6.0 x 106 ms-1 and experiences a constant electric force of 3.4 x 10-17 N. To find the angle the electron makes with the horizontal on leaving the plates, we need to calculate the horizontal component of the force acting on the electron, which requires knowing the time it spends between the plates. However, there is no given information on the horizontal component or the time.
azs8t1

Homework Statement

2 parallel plates of length 4.0 cm are arranged horizontally in a vacuum. The upper plate is positively charged and the lower plate is negatively charged. An electron is projected horizontally with an initial velocity of 6.0 x 106 ms-1 and experiences a constant electric force of 3.4 x 10-17 N whilst between the plates. Negating any gravitational effects, find the angle the electron makes with the horizontal on leaving the plates.

Homework Equations

Not that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

The electron experiences an attractive force of 3.4 x 10-17 N towards the positively charged plate. I don't know the horizontal component of the force acting on the electron so I can't calculate the resultant force.

Physics news on Phys.org
azs8t1 said:
I don't know the horizontal component of the force acting on the electron so I can't calculate the resultant force.
What makes you think there is a horizontal component or force?

you know the horizontal VELOCITY..can you calculate the time that the electron is between the plates?

What is the angle of deflection of an electron?

The angle of deflection of an electron refers to the angle at which an electron is diverted from its original path due to the influence of an external electric or magnetic field.

How is the angle of deflection of an electron calculated?

The angle of deflection of an electron can be calculated using the formula: θ = qBL/mv, where θ is the angle of deflection, q is the charge of the electron, B is the strength of the magnetic field, L is the distance the electron travels in the field, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity of the electron.

What factors affect the angle of deflection of an electron?

The angle of deflection of an electron is affected by the strength of the external electric or magnetic field, the speed and direction of the electron, and the mass and charge of the electron.

What is the significance of the angle of deflection of an electron?

The angle of deflection of an electron is an important factor in understanding the behavior of electrons in electric and magnetic fields. It can also be used to determine the charge and mass of an electron in certain experiments.

Can the angle of deflection of an electron be controlled?

Yes, the angle of deflection of an electron can be controlled by varying the strength and direction of the external electric or magnetic field. This allows for precise manipulation of the electron's path and is crucial in many scientific experiments and technologies such as particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes.