1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of deflection of electron

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 parallel plates of length 4.0 cm are arranged horizontally in a vacuum. The upper plate is positively charged and the lower plate is negatively charged. An electron is projected horizontally with an initial velocity of 6.0 x 106 ms-1 and experiences a constant electric force of 3.4 x 10-17 N whilst between the plates. Negating any gravitational effects, find the angle the electron makes with the horizontal on leaving the plates.

2. Relevant equations
    Not that I know of

3. The attempt at a solution
    The electron experiences an attractive force of 3.4 x 10-17 N towards the positively charged plate. I don't know the horizontal component of the force acting on the electron so I can't calculate the resultant force.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What makes you think there is a horizontal component or force?

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    you know the horizontal VELOCITY..can you calculate the time that the electron is between the plates?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted