Find the area enclosed by a curve and two lines.

In summary, the problem involves finding the total area of the region enclosed by the curve x = y2/3 and the lines x = y and y = -1. The attempt at a solution involved graphing the given equations and breaking the problem into two integration steps. However, the resulting answer of 11/10 was incorrect due to omitting a small area in the first quadrant. By using horizontal slices and including the omitted area, the correct answer of 6/5 was obtained.
einsteinoid

Homework Statement

Find the total area of the region enclosed by the curve x = y2/3 and the lines x = y and y = -1.

2. The attempt at a solution

I graphed x = y2/3 as y=x3/2 and y=-x3/2. Then I graphed the lines y=x and y=-1.

I shaded the region in question, which appears off the cuff to have an area slightly larger than one. To find the area exactly I broke the problem up into two integration steps.

1. [tex]\int[/tex] x dx (from x=-1 to x=0) - [tex]\int[/tex] -1 dx (in the same range of x=-1 to x=0)

+

2. [tex]\int[/tex] -1 dx (from x=0 to x=1) - [tex]\int[/tex] -x3/2 dx

I keep getting the whole area as 11/10. This seems close enough, seeing as how the area appears to be slightly greater than 1. However, my textbook's answer glossary tells me that the correct answer is actually 6/5. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I attached a relevant graph (I did it in mspaint, lol, sorry). y=+x2/3 is left out of the graph because it is irrelevant. The shaded region, I'm assuming, is the area in question:

Attachments

• area.jpg
    area.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Let me think about this a little more. I was a little hasty, sorry.

I was given the function x = y2/3. This is a function of y but not a function of x. By that I mean every x value has more than 1 y value. In order for me to graph the equation as a function of x, I had to break it into two equations.

Graphing x = y2/3

Is the same as graphing f(x)=x2/3 and g(x)=-x3/2 together.

Does this make sense?

einsteinoid said:

Homework Statement

Find the total area of the region enclosed by the curve x = y2/3 and the lines x = y and y = -1.

2. The attempt at a solution

I graphed x = y2/3 as y=x3/2 and y=-x3/2. Then I graphed the lines y=x and y=-1.

I shaded the region in question, which appears off the cuff to have an area slightly larger than one. To find the area exactly I broke the problem up into two integration steps.

1. [tex]\int[/tex] x dx (from x=-1 to x=0) - [tex]\int[/tex] -1 dx (in the same range of x=-1 to x=0)

+

2. [tex]\int[/tex] -1 dx (from x=0 to x=1) - [tex]\int[/tex] -x3/2 dx

I keep getting the whole area as 11/10. This seems close enough, seeing as how the area appears to be slightly greater than 1. However, my textbook's answer glossary tells me that the correct answer is actually 6/5. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I attached a relevant graph (I did it in mspaint, lol, sorry). y=+x2/3 is left out of the graph because it is irrelevant. The shaded region, I'm assuming, is the area in question:

It's much simpler to use horizontal slices with typical area element given by [itex]\Delta A[/itex] = (y2/3 - y)[itex]\Delta y[/itex], -1 <= y <= 1. Since the right and left endpoints of the typical area element don't change, a single integral will suffice.

Well, I get the same answer as you, but I don't trust my integration skills. If anyone else can confirm or point out the error, that would be good.

Mathematically speaking, your response makes sense, Mark. If i integrate this:

(y2/3 - y)dy, -1<=y<=1

I get 6/5.

According to the book, this is the correct answer, and for that I thank you! However, I'm now a little confused. I guess my new question is, what made you choose that integrand? And why does my choice of integrands not work?

Oh, I see now the mistake we both made. There is a tiny sliver of area sandwiched between y = x and the upper half of the graph you left out.

einsteinoid said:
Mathematically speaking, your response makes sense, Mark. If i integrate this:

(y2/3 - y)dy, -1<=y<=1

I get 6/5.

According to the book, this is the correct answer, and for that I thank you! However, I'm now a little confused. I guess my new question is, what made you choose that integrand? And why does my choice of integrands not work?

If you are given the bounding functions as x = g(y) and x = h(y), the most natural thing to try first is horizontal slices, because you don't have to convert both to their inverses. It still might be the case that you want to use vertical slices if the integration with horizontal slices turns out to be too much work or too difficult.

I noticed that your graph was missing that bit of area in the first quadrant, but didn't mention it. Its area just happens to be 1/10, which is why you were coming up with 11/10 instead of 12/10 = 6/5.

Mark44 said:
If you are given the bounding functions as x = g(y) and x = h(y), the most natural thing to try first is horizontal slices, because you don't have to convert both to their inverses. It still might be the case that you want to use vertical slices if the integration with horizontal slices turns out to be too much work or too difficult.

I noticed that your graph was missing that bit of area in the first quadrant, but didn't mention it. Its area just happens to be 1/10, which is why you were coming up with 11/10 instead of 12/10 = 6/5.

I left out the curve in the first quadrant purposely because it didn't effect my shaded region in the 3rd/4th quadrants. I guess it is safe to assume that the area I've shaded is incorrect, right?

I can do the problem pretty easily now on paper but I'm confusing myself a little by trying to graph everything.

Yes, the region in your graph was incorrect because it didn't include the part in the first quadrant. Your graph needs to be an accurate depiction of the region as described in the problem statement.

einsteinoid said:
I can do the problem pretty easily now on paper but I'm confusing myself a little by trying to graph everything.
It's almost impossible to "do the problem on paper" unless you have a fairly accurate graph of the region you are going to integrate. These aren't separate, unrelated operations.

I was saying that I can calculate the area based on the integrand you provided, but was having trouble deducing that integrand myself. Anyways, thanks for your help.

1. What is the formula for finding the area enclosed by a curve and two lines?

The formula for finding the area enclosed by a curve and two lines is called the double integral. It is represented as ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy and involves integrating with respect to both x and y coordinates.

2. How do I know which limits to use for the double integral?

The limits for the double integral are determined by the curve and the two lines that enclose the area. They are usually given in the problem or can be found by graphing the equations and visually determining the bounds.

3. Can the double integral be used for any shape?

Yes, the double integral can be used to find the area of any shape that is enclosed by a curve and two lines. It is a versatile formula that can be applied to a variety of situations.

4. What if the curve and lines intersect multiple times?

In this case, the area enclosed by the curve and lines can be found by breaking it up into smaller regions and using multiple double integrals. The limits for each integral will be different depending on the shape of the intersecting curves.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the area enclosed by a curve and two lines?

Yes, there are other methods such as using geometric formulas or dividing the enclosed area into smaller shapes that can be easily calculated. However, the double integral is the most commonly used method and provides the most accurate result.