1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the area enclosed by the parametric equation

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equation
    x = t3- 7t
    y = 8t2

2. Relevant equations
    A = ∫ y(t) x'(t) dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I initially began with A = ∫ y(t) x'(t) dt
    And got to ∫24t4-56t2dt and then to 24∫t4dt - 56∫t2dt
    but without a limit/defined area I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.
    At first I assumed the question wanted a general equation, in which case I came up with (24/5)t5 - (56/3)t3, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2
    It's been a while since I've done this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Try factoring ##x(t)=t^3-7t## and ##y(t)=8t^2## and look for the values of ##t## wherein ##x=0## and ##y=0##. Those should be your bounds. Again, it's been a while since I've done calculus so someone feel free to correct me.

4. Feb 26, 2017 #3
    In that case my roots for x would be √7, -√7 and 0, while y would only be 0. What would be my upper and lower bounds?
    I just attempted to make them between 0 and √7 but the answer was wrong as well

5. Feb 26, 2017 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to know a bit about what the graph looks like. Apparently it crosses itself, enclosing a loop. If you have a parametric grapher that would be a place to start. Otherwise you can look for a values of ##t## where the graph crosses itself. That would be a values of ##t_1## and ##t_2## where ##(x(t_1),y(t_1)) = (x(t_2),y(t_2))##. Use your equations to figure that out. That will give your limits.

6. Feb 27, 2017 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Eliminate t and find the curve in the (x,y) plane. Yes, it crosses itself at x=0, y=0, which corresponds to t=0. But there is an other crossing point. You get it if you express t as ##t=\pm\sqrt{y/8}## and substitute into the first equation. Because of the plus/minus sign, you get two branches which intersect - where?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted