1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the center of mass with tripl-integral

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    A being is on a sphere like planet. Sudently hey grabs a GPS and starts diging straight on a diemeter, heading to the center. We can theoretically say tha he is carrying a level with him. Then tha sphere is theoretically cut in two section , A and B. I have(well...with help) found the volume of the two sections with a tripl-integral using Spherical coordinate system.We know that the sphere has the same density all over (an inside) the sphere. I neeeeeeeeeeeeed to find the center of mass. Odviously the center of mass is going to be on the z Axle. Can someone help me find the center of mass?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

If you can find the mass, why can't you find the center of mass? It's just the integral of rho*dV*z whereas the mass is the integral of rho*dV*z.

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    I don't quite understand what the question is about, with the digging and stuff o.0
    For a sphere with uniform density, clearly the centre of mass must be at the centre of the sphere.

5. Jan 10, 2010 #4
    Well what i ment is that i need to find the center of mass of each section , A and then B.

6. Jan 10, 2010 #5
    ideasrule, i fail to see the difrens betwen the two integral, also rho=?

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6
    Oh ok I get it now. For each region just apply the usual formulas with the appropriate parameters:
    [tex]
    \overline{x} = \frac{1}{M} \iiint x \rho (x,y,z) dV
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \overline{y} = \frac{1}{M} \iiint y \rho (x,y,z) dV
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \overline{z} = \frac{1}{M} \iiint z \rho (x,y,z) dV
    [/tex]

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7
    I can understand that i am only going to use the z formula. I alsow understand it is going to be a tripl-integral. What i cant find is from where to where am i going to integrat, and what coordinate system would be most suted

9. Jan 10, 2010 #8
    Since it is a sphere, definitely we will be using spherical coordinates:
    [tex]
    \psi (\rho, \theta, \phi) = (\rho\,sin \phi\, cos \theta, \rho\, sin \phi\, sin \theta, \rho\, cos \phi)
    [/tex]
    for both regions A and B.
    However, the parameters have different ranges.
    For A:
    [tex]0 \leq \rho \leq R\,\, , 0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi\,\, , 0\leq \phi \leq a[/tex]
    For B:
    [tex]0 \leq \rho \leq R\,\, , 0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi\,\, , a\leq \phi \leq \pi[/tex]
    I presume you are able to convert the triple integral in rectangular coordinates into spherical coordinates?

--Scrap this, i made a terrible mistake--

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  10. Jan 10, 2010 #9
    you meen dV=dz*dy*dx=r^2*sinθ*dr*dθ*dφ ?? Also by a you meen the corner acording to the depth?

11. Jan 10, 2010 #10
    Yup. And remember to convert z as well.
    Wait I think I made a blunder in my parameters...oops I did a cone instead...gimme a while to fix it

12. Jan 10, 2010 #11
    "Yup. And remember to convert z as well" what do you meen?

13. Jan 10, 2010 #12
    Scrap those, we'll return to good old rectangular coordinates for now. If I'm not mistaken, the region A can be represented as
    [tex]\int_{-\sqrt{R^2-a^2}}^{\sqrt{R^2-a^2}}\,\int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,\int_{a}^{\sqrt{R-x^2-y^2}}\,\,dz\,dy\,dx[/tex]
    where a = height of base of region above the origin.
    Looks pretty ugly though, so maybe someone else wants to help out here?

14. Jan 10, 2010 #13
    if this helps, when calculating the volume i had to solve this:
    triple-integral{(r from b/Cosθ to R,θ from 0 to ArcCos[b/R],φ from 0 to 2π)r^2 sinθ dr dθ dφ} R = radius, b = R - depth of being

15. Jan 10, 2010 #14
    Sadly, my calculus remains rather weak.
    Ah..So those will be the limits of the centre of mass integral as well. Just substitute z with the parameterised equivalent.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook