Electric Field at Center of Spherical Half-Shell

In summary, The differential area on the surface of a sphere in spherical coordinates is given on inside front cover of textbook, dS=dr sin(θ)dθ dφ. See sect. 1.4.1.a. Verify that the surface area of a sphere of radius R is 4PiR^2.b. Calculate the electric field (all components) at the center of a half-shell ofradius R. The surface of the half-shell is below the xy plane. It has uniform surface charge density, σ. The center of the sphere is also the origin of the coordinate system.In summary,
maherelharake

Homework Statement

The differential area on the surface of a sphere in spherical coordinates is given on inside front cover of textbook, dS=dr sin(θ)dθ dφ. See sect. 1.4.1.

a. Verify that the surface area of a sphere of radius R is 4PiR^2.

b. Calculate the electric field (all components) at the center of a half-shell of
radius R. The surface of the half-shell is below the xy plane. It has uniform surface charge density, σ. The center of the sphere is also the origin of the coordinate system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:
I believe the given was supposed to be dS=r^2 sin(θ)dθ dφ. I did this part, assuming the problem was incorrect.
I integrated this as a double integral and got the correct result of 4PiR^2.

Part B:
This is where I need help. I drew the diagram, and am having trouble getting it started. I know the general idea is to take a small section, and find E there, and integrate over the rest of the surface. I am having trouble carrying that idea out though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture something like the attached one. You need to get the electric field at the centre of the sphere. For a surface element dA at a given position (θ,φ) write dE, the contribution of the charge on dA to the vector of the electric field at the centre. Write all components of dE in terms of the angles θ and φ. Integrate for the half sphere.

ehild

Attachments

• halfshell.JPG
    halfshell.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,269
I think I see what you are saying. Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 806
I have tried to think of this in different ways, but made no progress. Any comments for me? Thanks in advance.

Steve D. got you down?

Ha not too bad. I'm getting there. Are you in the class?

maherelharake said:
I think I see what you are saying. Am I on the right track?

Not quite... The electric field is a vector, and dE, the contribution of a surface element dA is antiparallel to the radius vector. You can see that the horizontal component of E cancels because of symmetry, but you get the same if you integrate the x ad y components of dE.
The resultant field has only z component. Write down the z component of dE and integrate from 0 to 2pi with respect to φ and from pi/2 to pi with respect to Θ.

ehild

Ok I think I am very close. I am getting, what I hope is, the correct answer. However, I am off by a factor of -1 at the end. Did I mess up on the first step where I substituted for
-z_prime? I put Rcos(theta), but is it supposed to be -Rcos(theta). Thanks again.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 806
maherelharake said:
Did I mess up on the first step where I substituted for
-z_prime? I put Rcos(theta), but is it supposed to be -Rcos(theta). Thanks again.

Yup, that's your error.

Ok so I should add a negative sign in front of my z_prime, x_prime, and y_prime terms on all three equations. For the bottom two, it won't change it from 0, and for the top one, it will make it correct? I think I got it. Right?

I am, and I also got the same answer as you. This was the first page that came up when I tried to verify my answer online, and I recognized the problem immediately as Dr. D's.

Oh ok cool. The people on this forum are really helpful. I recommend it a lot. I think someone else on here is from our class too, because I recognized one of the problems (I didn't look at it closely though).

1. What is the formula for finding the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell?

The formula for finding the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell is E = (Q/4πε0R2), where Q is the charge on the half-shell, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the half-shell.

2. How does the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell vary with distance?

The electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

3. Can the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell be negative?

No, the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell cannot be negative. The electric field is a vector quantity that always points away from positive charges and towards negative charges. Since the center of a spherical half-shell has charges on both sides, the electric field at the center must be zero.

4. What factors affect the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell?

The electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell is affected by the charge on the half-shell, the radius of the half-shell, and the permittivity of free space. Increasing the charge or the radius will result in a stronger electric field, while increasing the permittivity of free space will decrease the electric field.

5. How is the electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell related to the electric potential?

The electric field at the center of a spherical half-shell is directly proportional to the electric potential. This means that as the electric field increases, the electric potential also increases. The electric potential can be found by taking the negative integral of the electric field with respect to distance.