Find the Circumradius for a Triangle

• Thread starter AGNuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses properties of an acute angled triangle with an orthocentre, and feet of perpendiculars from each vertex. It also involves determining the value of R, the circumradius of the triangle, given specific information about the angles and distances. The answer to Q1 is 3/14R, and the answer to Q2 is not known. The fact that the triangle is acute angled means that all the cosines are greater than zero.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Let ABC is an acute angled triangle with orthocentre H. D, E, F are feet of perpendicular from A, B, C on opposite sides. Let R is circumradius of ΔABC.

Given AH.BH.CH = 3 and (AH)2 + (BH)2 + (CH)2 = 7, answer the following
Q1.
[tex]\frac{\prod \cos A}{\sum \cos^{2}A}[/tex]Q2. What is the value of R?

ANS 1. From properties of triangle, the distance of Orthocentre from a point A is given by AH = 2R.cosA. Using the values of cosines and from information in the question, I solved the first question to get the answer 3/14R.

Now I have no clue on how to approach Q2. I can't seem to find any relation between the value of R and information given to me. BTW, from what I know, the answer mentioned is 3/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the answer to Q1 tell you?
Why is it important that the triangle is acute angled?

Acute angled triangle means all the cosines are greater than zero?

1. What is the definition of circumradius for a triangle?

The circumradius of a triangle is the distance from the center of the triangle's circumscribed circle to any of its vertices. In other words, it is the radius of the circle that passes through all three vertices of the triangle.

2. How is the circumradius of a triangle calculated?

The circumradius can be calculated using the formula R = (abc)/(4∆), where a, b, and c are the side lengths of the triangle and ∆ is the area of the triangle. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula R = (a/(2sinA)) = (b/(2sinB)) = (c/(2sinC)), where A, B, and C are the angles of the triangle.

3. Why is the circumradius important in geometry?

The circumradius is important because it helps define the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle. It also plays a crucial role in the construction of regular polygons and in solving various geometric problems.

4. Can the circumradius of a triangle be negative?

No, the circumradius of a triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the distance from the center of the circumscribed circle to the vertices of the triangle.

5. How does the circumradius of a triangle relate to its inscribed circle?

The circumradius and the radius of the inscribed circle of a triangle are related by the formula R = (r/(2cos(A/2))) = (r/(2cos(B/2))) = (r/(2cos(C/2))), where r is the radius of the inscribed circle. This means that the circumradius is always greater than or equal to the radius of the inscribed circle.