Is this question doable? Finding triangle side length

In summary: There are three triangles - two with the top vertex on the height line and one that has the top vertex below the height line.The length of the sides going up to the point are the same.
shirozack
Misplaced Homework Thread
Given a triangle ABC, whose area is 5.5 cm square, and length of AB = 2√3 + 1 cm, find the value of length AC.

Given triangle has no special properties like isoceles etc.

Only 1 length and area of the triangle are given. Is it possible to solve such a question? thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!
Are there any triangles that have two equal sides?

Consider the side AB to be the base of the triangle, then you can calculate the height of the triangle from the area. The question then is whether there are triangles with that height but with different length non-base sides. What would you say?
PS. If this is a homework problem, you need to use the homework format.

What do you mean by "doable"? A unique solution, perhaps?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
Are there any triangles that have two equal sides?
No there isn't, it is just a normal triangle.

shirozack said:
No there isn't, it is just a normal triangle.
Do you know the equation for the area of any triangle?

Lnewqban said:
Do you know the equation for the area of any triangle?
yea, but it feels like something is missing? given only 1 length and the area, is it possible to find the other length without any special properties of the triangle like isoceles, equilateral etc?

i tried 1/2 base height, 1/2 ab sin(c), sin rule, cos rule

FactChecker said:
Consider the side AB to be the base of the triangle, then you can calculate the height of the triangle from the area. The question then is whether there are triangles with that height but with different length non-base sides. What would you say?
PS. If this is a homework problem, you need to use the homework format.
it feels like something is missing? given only 1 length and the area, is it possible to find the other length without any special properties of the triangle like isoceles, equilateral etc?

it is just a generic normal triangle.

DaveE said:
What do you mean by "doable"? A unique solution, perhaps?
I mean is it solvable?

it feels like something is missing? given only 1 length and the area, is it possible to find the other length without any special properties of the triangle like isoceles, equilateral etc?

shirozack said:
I mean is it solvable?
Yes, there are solutions.

Likes bob012345
DaveE said:
Yes, there are solutions.
How should i approach?

I tried to replace sin(a) in 1/2absinc with sin rule, trigo, area half base and they all just cancel each other out.

Area formula 1/2 ab sin(c) => 5.5 = ½ (2√3 + 1)(AC) sin(a)

Area formula half base height => ½ (2√3 + 1) h = 5.5

h = 11 / (2√3 + 1)

sin(a) = h / AC

Sin rule => h/sin(a) = AC/sin(90)

h/AC = sin(a)

shirozack said:
yea, but it feels like something is missing? given only 1 length and the area, is it possible to find the other length without any special properties of the triangle like isoceles, equilateral etc?

Did the problem give you a specific type of triangle?

Lnewqban said:
Did the problem give you a specific type of triangle?
no it is just a generic normal triangle. just draw any generic triangle free hand. it looks like that.

shirozack said:
Area formula half base height => ½ (2√3 + 1) h = 5.5

h = 11 / (2√3 + 1)
OK, so now you know the length AB and the height of point C above the line through A, B. Try drawing some pictures of different triangles (different locations of point C). Which, if any, of those locations of point C meet your constraints?

Likes Lnewqban
shirozack said:
no it is just a generic normal triangle. just draw any generic triangle free hand. it looks like that.
Therefore, are you free to make it an isosceles triangle, or a right-angle one?
If not, you know that the three angles must add up to 180 degress.

angles-classifiesd-by-angles-and-by-side-1080x1080.jpg

Likes FactChecker
shirozack said:

Without doing any calculations, draw a triangle with a horizontal base. Now draw a horizontal height line above the triangle. How many triangles can you draw with the top vertex on the height line? Is their area different? Is the length of the sides up to the height line different?

EDIT: Or just look at the triangles in @Lnewqban's post above. The base lengths and heights are identical, so what can you say about the areas of the triangles? What about the lengths of the sides going up to the point?

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
FactChecker said:
Without doing any calculations, draw a triangle with a horizontal base. Now draw a horizontal height line above the triangle. How many triangles can you draw with the top vertex on the height line? Is their area different? Is the length of the sides up to the height line different?

EDIT: Or just look at the triangles in @Lnewqban's post above. The base lengths and heights are identical, so what can you say about the areas of the triangles? What about the lengths of the sides going up to the point?
ok let's assume the triangle looks like this and i simplified the values. Given AB = 4 and we found the height through area formula to be 3. I am trying to get length of DB i.e. (L) through similar triangles ratio and then solve for x through pythagoras theorem AD,CD,x. Problem is, when I tried to solve for L, the quadratic equation, it starts to hit complex numbers, which can't be right? where am i wrong? are my values not set well or is my approach wrong?

1660885629184.png

Attachments

• 1660885609040.png
    1660885609040.png
    10 KB · Views: 67
Lnewqban said:
Therefore, are you free to make it an isosceles triangle, or a right-angle one?
If not, you know that the three angles must add up to 180 degress.

View attachment 312959
ok let's assume the triangle looks like this and i simplified the values. Given AB = 4 and we found the height through area formula to be 3. I am trying to get length of DB i.e. (L) through similar triangles ratio and then solve for x through pythagoras theorem AD,CD,x. Problem is, when I tried to solve for L, the quadratic equation, it starts to hit complex numbers, which can't be right? where am i wrong? are my values not set well or is my approach wrong?
1660886247968.png

shirozack said:
View attachment 312973
Those aren't similar triangles unless the angle at vertex C is a right angle.

You need to involve ##x## in your calculations. Otherwise, ##L## can take any value less than ##4##.

PeroK said:
Those aren't similar triangles unless the angle at vertex C is a right angle.

You need to involve ##x## in your calculations. Otherwise, ##L## can take any value less than ##4##.
How should i approach it?

I have tried area formulas 1/2baseheight, 1/2absinc, sin law, cos law, and they all seem to just cancel each other out when i try to substitute them into solve the equations.

shirozack said:
How should i approach it?

I have tried area formulas 1/2baseheight, 1/2absinc, sin law, cos law, and they all seem to just cancel each other out when i try to substitute them into solve the equations.
##L## can be anything less than ##4##. But, if you specify ##x## then you can use Pythagoras:
$$x^2 = 3^2 + (4-L)^2$$

PeroK said:
##L## can be anything less than ##4##. But, if you specify ##x## then you can use Pythagoras:
$$x^2 = 3^2 + (4-L)^2$$
yea i thought about pythagoras too, but how do i find L? the question only states the length of AB and the area. then it asks to find length of AC which is x in this case. i need to get rid of L somehow.

shirozack said:
yea i thought about pythagoras too, but how do i find L? the question only states the length of AB and the area. then it asks to find length of AC which is x in this case. i need to get rid of L somehow.
You can't find ##L##. ##L## can be anything less than ##4##. There is more than one triangle with a base of ##4## and a height of ##3##.

PeroK said:
You can't find ##L##. ##L## can be anything less than ##4##. There is more than one triangle with a base of ##4## and a height of ##3##.
does it then mean that this question is not doable?
the original question is they gave the length AB as 2sqrt(3) + 1
and the area as 5.5 cm square, and was asked to find AC, expressing it in some integer b sqrt(3).
So since L can be anything , i assume this question cannot be done?

Likes bob012345
shirozack said:
So since L can be anything , i assume this question cannot be done?
There is no unique solution for the length AC. The area and a single side length does fully specify a triangle. There must be another piece of data missing.

PeroK said:
There is no unique solution for the length AC. The area and a single side length does fully specify a triangle. There must be another piece of data missing.
i see thanks everyone

$$(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2$$

1. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the side length of a triangle?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the side length of a right triangle. It states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. What information do I need to find the side length of a triangle?

You will need at least two measurements of the triangle, such as the lengths of two sides or the length of one side and one angle. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the side length.

3. Can I use trigonometric functions to find the side length of a triangle?

Yes, trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent can be used to find the side length of a triangle. These functions relate the side lengths and angles of a triangle and can be used to solve for missing values.

4. Is finding the side length of a triangle always possible?

No, it is not always possible to find the side length of a triangle. This depends on the information given and the type of triangle. For example, if only the lengths of two sides are known, it may not be possible to determine the length of the third side without additional information.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the side length of a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines. These laws relate the angles and side lengths of a triangle and can be used to solve for missing values. However, they require more information about the triangle compared to using the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric functions.