Find the Coordinates/Magnitude of projection of two vectors

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physics345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Projection Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Physics345
Messages
250
Reaction score
23

Homework Statement



Given two vectors u→=(16,5,2) and v→=(3,−2,−2) find the following:
  1. The coordinates of the projection of u→ on v→
  2. The magnitude of the projection of u→ on v→
    .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I have never done a question like this before, I was curious did I do it correctly? If not should I instead find the projection from point A to B?
Here's my attempt: (I wrote it out in word to make it easier to read)
P3BkGLn.png
 
Attachments
  • P3BkGLn.png
    P3BkGLn.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) is correct. For (b) you need to work out the magnitude of the vector that is the answer to (a). Square each component, add, then take the square root. The answer will be more than 2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physics345
andrewkirk said:
(a) is correct. For (b) you need to work out the magnitude of the vector that is the answer to (a). Square each component, add, then take the square root. The answer will be more than 2.
Oh wow That's all they want me to do I've been doing that I assumed this was asking me to do something else because it's asking for "Magnitude of the projection". I assumed it was different. Anyways I appreciate it, thanks for pointing that out to me.
 
=√(6)^2 +(-4)^2 +(-4)^2
=√72

Therefore,the magnitude of u ⃗ on v ⃗ is √72

Thanks again =)