Volume of solid by using projection to different planes

In summary: You also need to project ##c##, which is at the intersection of the line from ##a## to ##b## and the zx plane. Finally, you need to find the limits of the volume. is my diagram wrong ?here's my zx plane . with 0<x <2 , 0 <z< 4-x , is it correct ?Here's a correct picture:You need to draw the projection of ##a## and ##b## and the line between them on the zx plane. The point ##a## is incorrectly drawn in your original sketch. You also need to project ##c##, which is at the intersection of the line from ##a## to ##b## and the zx plane
chetzread

Homework Statement

Find the volume of solid which is bounded by z = 4-x-y and below by region in the plane of 0<x<2 , 0<y<1
When i use zx -plane projection , i found that my ans is different with the ans of using xy projection ...Which part i did wrongly ?

From the ans given , volume = 5 unit , when i use xy plane projection , i gt this ans , but when I use zx -plane projection , i got V = 6

For zx -plane projection , i got V = ∫∫∫ dydxdz , 0<x <2 , 0 <z< 4-x , 0<y<1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 2159.PNG
    2159.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of solid which is bounded by z = 4-x-y and below by region in the plane of 0<x<2 , 0<y<1
When i use zx -plane projection , i found that my ans is different with the ans of using xy projection ...Which part i did wrongly ?

From the ans given , volume = 5 unit , when i use xy plane projection , i gt this ans , but when I use zx -plane projection , i got V = 6

For zx -plane projection , i got V = ∫∫∫ dydxdz , 0<x <2 , 0 <z< 4-x , 0<y<1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your zx plane projection is incorrect. You need two integrals because when you integrate in the y direction first, sometimes you hit the plane ##y=1## and sometimes you hit the plane ##z = 4-x-y##. In fact if you do the order dydxdz instead of dydzdx you may need 3 integrals.

LCKurtz said:
Your zx plane projection is incorrect. You need two integrals because when you integrate in the y direction first, sometimes you hit the plane ##y=1## and sometimes you hit the plane ##z = 4-x-y##. In fact if you do the order dydxdz instead of dydzdx you may need 3 integrals.
sorry , i still didnt get you , how should the whole integral look like ? What is the limit fro x , y and z ?

chetzread said:
sorry , i still didnt get you , how should the whole integral look like ? What is the limit fro x , y and z ?

I'm not going to work it for you. What you need to do is imagine you are looking at the zx plane from straight down the y axis. Take your picture and project every line onto the zx plane. That will show you the shape of the zx region, which is what you need to find the limits.

Likes chetzread
LCKurtz said:
I'm not going to work it for you. What you need to do is imagine you are looking at the zx plane from straight down the y axis. Take your picture and project every line onto the zx plane. That will show you the shape of the zx region, which is what you need to find the limits.
is my diagram wrong ?

here's my zx plane . with 0<x <2 , 0 <z< 4-x , is it correct ?

Attachments

• IMG_20161014_095754.jpg
    IMG_20161014_095754.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 351
Here's a correct picture:

volume.jpg

You need to draw the projection of ##a## and ##b## and the line between them on the zx plane. The point ##a## is incorrectly drawn in your original sketch

Last edited:

What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid by using projection to different planes?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid by using projection to different planes is V = A * h, where A is the area of the base and h is the height of the solid.

What are the different planes used for projecting a solid?

The three planes commonly used for projecting a solid are the XY plane, the YZ plane, and the XZ plane.

How do you use projection to find the volume of an irregularly shaped solid?

To find the volume of an irregularly shaped solid, you can divide the solid into smaller, simpler shapes and use projection to find the volume of each shape. The volume of the entire solid is then the sum of the volumes of the smaller shapes.

Can projection be used to find the volume of a hollow solid?

Yes, projection can be used to find the volume of a hollow solid. The volume of the solid can be found by subtracting the volume of the hollow space from the volume of the solid with no hollow space.