1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the coordinates of the point on the ellipsoid where the major axis meet

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a point p(xp,yp,zp) inside an ellipsoid and i want to find the angle of that point from the center of the ellipsoid(xc,yc,zc) .

I also have
    the major axis length 'a' ,with length ax,ay and az components

I calculated the unit vector of axis a with formula length of axis 'a"/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2).

2. Relevant equations
    how do i find the angle at which p makes with the center of ellipsoid from the from axis a

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the coordinates of the point that intersect the major axis on the ellipsoid using the unit vector by calculating the xcoordinate as ax/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2) similarly for y and z coordinates
    this give me 2 set of coordinates .now i have new coordinates of the point that intersects the major axis on the ellipsoid and the coordinates of p . Now i use distance formula and then use the cosine law for triangles to find the angle betwen the point p and the center of the ellipsoid.pls let me know if this is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The coordinates of points C, A, and P are (xc,yc,zc), (xa,ya,za), and (xp,yp,zp), respectively. The length of vector CA is La = sqrt[(xa-xc)^2 + (ya-yc)^2 + (za-zc)^2]. The length of vector CP is Lp = sqrt[(xp-xc)^2 + (yp-yc)^2 + (zp-zc)^2]. Therefore, the angle between vectors CA and CP is as follows.

theta = acos{[(xa-xc)(xp-xc) + (ya-yc)(yp-yc) + (za-zc)(zp-zc)]/(La*Lp)}

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    but " a" is not a point. see the coordinates of p and center are given. length of axis and components are given. I am not sure if I can consider components of vector A to be coordinates.Then I can use the cosine formula for the triangle.

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good catch. So the coordinates of points C and P are (xc,yc,zc) and (xp,yp,zp). And the components of the length of the ellipsoid semi-major axis are ax, ay, and az. We can call the semi-major axis vector CA. The coordinates of point A are therefore ((xc+ax),(yc+ay),(zc+az)). The length of vector CA is a. The length of vector CP is Lp = sqrt[(xp-xc)^2 + (yp-yc)^2 + (zp-zc)^2]. Therefore, the angle between vectors CA and CP is as follows.

theta = acos{[ax*(xp-xc) + ay*(yp-yc) + az*(zp-zc)]/(a*Lp)}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?