Find the current and Voltage of the following pieces

In summary: I would not take the bet.In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit problem where the values of Vin, Vout, and resistors are given and the remaining values (currents and voltages) need to be found. The equations and concepts of Kirchhoff's laws, voltage division, and parallel and series resistors are mentioned. There is confusion about finding certain values and how to use current and voltage division. The conversation also explores the possibility of zero current flowing through a specific resistor and how to check the correctness of calculations.
itzernie

Homework Statement

upload_2017-1-23_20-34-10.png

Above is the circuit I have to deal with. We are given the Vin = 6V, Vout = 3.367 V and all the R values. We are asked to find the remaining values (The I's and V's)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Kirchhoff Voltage and current laws
V = IR
R's in series add
Voltage from a source has the same value on a resistor if they are in parallel

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment I did not really start plugging in numbers, but i tried thinking of how to get certain values:

I2: looks like V on it is 6 since parallel to V in so 6/20000
I5: same procedure as stated for ^
V3: Use a ratio between the two resistors in that node line to see how much voltage goes to that as opposed to R4
V1: confused because when I use the KVL i get Vin - I2R2 + V1 = 0 but the first 2 arguments in that phrase would already = 0 unless I2 is not as simple as stated above.
V6 : completely unsure

** Also to add, we have not learned current or voltage division yet and I feel like that may play a role because I am not sure how to find Req of this nor understand what Vout does to help.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-23_20-33-58.png
    upload_2017-1-23_20-33-58.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
itzernie said:
I2: looks like V on it is 6 since parallel to V in so 6/20000
How can that be unless there is no voltage drop across R1?

Edit: Clarification: Even if there was no voltage drop across R1, it would still not be true that R2 is in parallel with Vin, if that is what you were saying.

Edit 2: Is there any current flowing through R6? If so, where does it go?

Last edited:
Likes itzernie
Just reading that alone makes complete sense. I was just reading in my notes that voltage in parallel remains the same but I'm seeing that does not apply to this case. I feel like my issue is that I can't really figure out where to properly start? I can not directly find V1 since I do not know the current coming from the 6v source and I can't figure out how to get that without finding Req

Consider my "Edit 2" above where I ask about current flowing through R6.

TomHart said:
Edit 2: Is there any current flowing through R6? If so, where does it go?

Sorry if I seem uneducated in this topic. I know it's not an excuse but we get prelab assignments due before the actual lectures and we don't have text I can really learn from. To answer your question, I believe there is a current that flows through R6 and out to the output?

Edit: this is the first time I have ever seen a Vout

itzernie said:
I believe there is a current that flows through R6 and out to the output?
Okay, that is not an unreasonable answer. But what is at the output that will allow current to flow? Is there anything?

TomHart said:
Is there anything?
Nope, the circuit is broken at that point, so despite there being some Vout, there is no current at the output?

That's how I saw it too - well, unless we consider that there was a voltmeter to measure the voltage. But that voltmeter will have a very high resistance and therefore, negligible current. So if we know (at least we think we know) that no current flows through R6, then what is the voltage at the other side of R6?

Hmmm. My intuition is telling me 3.367 V since that Vout value must come from somewhere and there is no current between the resistor and the output

Likes TomHart
itzernie said:
My intuition is telling me 3.367 V
You have an impressive 4-significant-figure intuition? Where did this value spring from?

TomHart said:
That's how I saw it too - well, unless we consider that there was a voltmeter to measure the voltage. But that voltmeter will have a very high resistance and therefore, negligible current. So if we know (at least we think we know) that no current flows through R6, then what is the voltage at the other side of R6?
No, it is not sure that the output current is zero. You can check easily: in this case the voltage across R2, R3+R4, and R5 is Vout, and the sum of the currents through the resistors is equal to I1. Also,
Vout + I1 R1 = Vin. Is it true?

Likes itzernie
NascentOxygen said:
You have an impressive 4-significant-figure intuition? Where did this value spring from?
Vout was given as 3.367 V.

ehild said:
Vout was given as 3.367 V.
Ah, that simplifies things!

ehild said:
No, it is not sure that the output current is zero. You can check easily: in this case the voltage across R2, R3+R4, and R5 is Vout, and the sum of the currents through the resistors is equal to I1. Also,
Vout + I1 R1 = Vin. Is it true?
@ehild, you are absolutely correct. I retract everything I previously said. Thank you for correcting me.
@itzernie, please take note of ehild's post.

Likes itzernie
TomHart said:
@ehild, you are absolutely correct. I retract everything I previously said. Thank you for correcting me.
[
Check: The current through R6 might be zero with the data given!

Likes itzernie
ehild said:
Check: The current through R6 might be zero with the data given!
Well, I tried to check a while ago (when I first read your post) and it looked like the currents did not match. But now, since you brought it up, and since I have so little confidence in my abilities right at the moment . . .
I1 = (6-3.367)/2k = 1.3165 mA
I2 = 3.367/20k = 0.16835 mA
I4 = 3.367/(2.2k + 4.7k) = 0.48797 mA
I5 = 3.367/5.1k = 0.66020 mA
I2 + I4 + I5 = 0.16835 + 0.48797 + 0.66020 = 1.31652 mA

So it appears that the currents do match. However, due to my excessive fumbling through this problem, I have very little confidence that my calculations here are correct. If someone offered me a bet where they would pay me $100 if my calculations are correct, and I would have to pay them one donut if my calculations are wrong, I would probably have to consider that a bad risk for me.

I think it is bedtime. Good night Mary Ellen. Good night John boy. Good night Jim Bob.

Likes itzernie
TomHart said:
So it appears that the currents do match. However, due to my excessive fumbling through this problem, I have very little confidence that my calculations here are correct.
Yes, they do :) Good night.

Likes TomHart and itzernie
Sorry for the late response! I it was 4am on my last post so I passed out lol. Anyway @ehild what you said in the way specific R's add up to Vout and how I1 is the result of all currents from the other resistors makes sense to me. Thanks ! @TomHart I will work on the problem asap and let you know if my answers are close enough to where you can take the donut risk.

Likes TomHart
OK so I sat down and really went over what was talked about here. I fully understand 2 of the 3 statements that @ehild made.

I'm just confused with how did you know the sum of the current on the resistors R2-R5 had to equal the I1 current? Is it because If you were to simplify all of those resistors together into one you would have a junction up top with 3 directions to go. Left is where I1 comes from, right has no current , and down is the combined resistor where Isum must go. Therefore by KCL we know at a junction the current sum must = 0 and therefore the Isum of R = I1 ?

I can see why Vout + I1 R1 = Vin. - this alone can help find I1 and V1
Also I see why R2 through R5 have the same Voltage as Vout.

Using that statement alone helped me find I2,I4,V3,I5.
V6 is in this case 0V.
I believe that is all of the variables (and @TomHart, I basically computed the same numbers so you can make the bet hopefully)

itzernie said:
OK so I sat down and really went over what was talked about here. I fully understand 2 of the 3 statements that @ehild made.

I'm just confused with how did you know the sum of the current on the resistors R2-R5 had to equal the I1 current?
It would not be true if there was current through R6.
You have a two-port circuit, with some input and output voltages and currents. Usually such circuit is part of a bigger one, so the current can flow out of it. You would be able to determine the currents with the information given, and the result is Iout = 0 if Vout=3.367 V. With an other output voltage this current would not be zero.
itzernie said:
Is it because If you were to simplify all of those resistors together into one you would have a junction up top with 3 directions to go. Left is where I1 comes from, right has no current , and down is the combined resistor where Isum must go. Therefore by KCL we know at a junction the current sum must = 0 and therefore the Isum of R = I1 ?
Yes, assuming that the current through R6 is zero, the current through R1 is the same as the current through the combined resistors.

itzernie said:
I can see why Vout + I1 R1 = Vin. - this alone can help find I1 and V1
Also I see why R2 through R5 have the same Voltage as Vout.

Using that statement alone helped me find I2,I4,V3,I5.
V6 is in this case 0V.
I believe that is all of the variables (and @TomHart, I basically computed the same numbers so you can make the bet hopefully)
It is correct.
Can you write the equations for arbitrary Vout and Iout?

Likes itzernie
itzernie said:
I'm just confused with how did you know the sum of the current on the resistors R2-R5 had to equal the I1 current? Is it because If you were to simplify all of those resistors together into one you would have a junction up top with 3 directions to go.
Just to point out what may be obvious, one side of each of resistors R1, R2, R3, R5 and R6 all connect to the same node. The reason it is true that the currents through those 3 resistor paths is equal to I1 is because of Kirchhoff's current law - that the sum of the currents flowing into a node must be equal to the sum of the currents flowing out of that node. That's how you know that I1 = I2 + I4 + I5 + I6. But as we (painfully for me) found out, I6 = 0. Now you could have picked the direction of each of those currents however you wanted. And if, when you worked the math, it turned out the result of one of them was negative, you would know that the direction you guessed turned out to be the the opposite direction of the actual current flow for that path.

But yes, you could have reduced R2 through R5 to a single equivalent resistor.

Likes itzernie
ehild said:
Can you write the equations for arbitrary Vout and Iout

for any Vout similar to this one I'm thinking:
Vout = Vin + any other V sources - Vn n standing for summed Resistors in series/parallel with the Vin + any other V sources hmmm I never actually thought about an Iout in this case. I know you can have a Voltage without a current though. Wouldn't it always be 0 in cases just like this one?

but in general I would like to say :

Iout = Iremaining amount from I1 after distributing it through the circuit ?

TomHart said:
That's how you know that I1 = I2 + I4 + I5 + I6. But as we (painfully for me) found out, I6 = 0.

ahh. that is the line that helps clarify everything. and basically since you found I2,4,5 from ohms law where the V was V out you could see that combo already = I1. Therefore I6 would have to be 0

If something is connected to the output terminals, I6 can be different from zero, and there is a voltage drop across R6.
upload_2017-1-25_7-39-25.png

Then I1=Ieq+I6 and Vin = I1R1+IeqReq, IeqReq=I6R6+Vout.
Solve for I6.

1. What is the process for finding the current and voltage of a given piece?

To find the current and voltage of a piece, you will need to use Ohm's Law. This states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, the formula is I = V/R. You will need to know the voltage and resistance of the piece in order to solve for current.

2. How do I measure the voltage of a piece?

The voltage of a piece can be measured using a voltmeter. Connect the positive probe of the voltmeter to one end of the piece and the negative probe to the other end. The voltmeter will display the voltage reading in volts (V).

3. What tools do I need to find the current and voltage of a piece?

To find the current and voltage of a piece, you will need a voltmeter and an ammeter. The voltmeter measures voltage and the ammeter measures current. You may also need a calculator to solve for current using Ohm's Law (I = V/R).

4. Can I determine the current and voltage of a piece without knowing its resistance?

No, you cannot determine the current and voltage of a piece without knowing its resistance. As mentioned before, Ohm's Law requires the resistance value in order to solve for current. However, you can measure the resistance of a piece using an ohmmeter if it is not already known.

5. How does the length and material of a piece affect its current and voltage?

The length and material of a piece can affect its current and voltage. This is because the longer the piece, the higher its resistance will be, resulting in a lower current and voltage. Different materials also have different resistance values, which can impact the current and voltage of a piece. For example, a piece made of copper will have a lower resistance compared to a piece made of steel, resulting in a higher current and voltage.