1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the curvature of the curve

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a parametric curve, [tex] \alpha(t) = (x(t),y(t) )[/tex], not necessarily arc length parameterized show that the curvature is given by:

[tex] k = \frac{x'y'' - y'x''}{|\alpha'|^{3}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

As I understand this the curvature is defined from the point of view of a arc length parameterization as
    [tex] k = |\frac{d^{2}\alpha(s)}{ds^{2}}| [/tex]

So I tried using the chain rule...

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \frac{d\alpha}{ds} = \frac{d\alpha}{dt}\frac{dt}{ds} [/tex]where dt/ds = 1/(ds/dt) = [tex]1/|\frac{d\alpha}{dt}(t)| [/tex]
    Then I differentiated again to get...
    [tex]\frac{d}{ds} \frac{d\alpha}{dt}\frac{1}{|\frac{d\alpha}{dt}(t)|} = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{dt}{ds} \frac{d\alpha}{dt}\frac{1}{|\frac{d\alpha}{dt}(t)|}=\frac{d^{2}\alpha}{dt^{2}}\frac{1}{|\frac{d\alpha}{dt}(t)|^{2}}}-\frac{d\alpha}{dt}\frac{\alpha'\cdot\alpha''}{|\frac{d\alpha}{dt}(t)|^{4}}[/tex]

This isn't what I should get. It seems that I am clearly missing something since all the problems I try and do along these lines I am stuck on. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks in advanced
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: curvature

Don't you think you ought to start by representing the curve in parametric form (x(t),y(t))? Now start differentiating that. The unit tangent is (x',y')/sqrt(x'^2+y'^2). The curvature is the norm of the derivative of that.
  4. Sep 8, 2008 #3

Thanks for the advice. The expression turned out to be right I just needed to do a little foot work to get it in the same form : )

I am curious to know, however, if you had a more elegant way in mind?
  5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nah. Just differentiate, cancel some terms and collect stuff.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?