Derivative of y = sqrt(x)(x - 1): where does the 3 come from?

  • Thread starter Thread starter communitycoll
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
communitycoll
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
I'll just make one thread for all the help I'll need with derivatives so I don't clutter up this forum.

Homework Statement


Find the derivative of y = sqrt(x)(x - 1).

Homework Equations


Wolfram Alpha gets this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+y+=+sqrt(x)(x+-+1)

I got sqrt(x) + [(x - 1) / (2sqrt(x))]. Which is basically everything up until the point where Wolfram returns the answer.

I don't understand where the 3 in the numerator comes from, or where the sqrt(x) that's being added goes.

The Attempt at a Solution


All the work you see Wolfram doing, up until the point Wolfram returns the answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that you have used the product rule: the derivative of [itex]x^{1/2}(x-1)[/itex] is [itex](1/2)x^{-1/2}(x- 1)+ x^{1/2}(1)= \sqrt{x}+ (x- 1)/2\sqrt{x}[/itex].

However, you can also write [itex]x^{1/2}(x- 1)= x^{3/2}- x^{1/2}[/itex]. Then the derivative is [itex](3/2)x^{1/2}- (1/2)x^{-1/2}[/itex]. That is what Wolfram is doing.

Of course, those are the same. In the your answer, [itex]\sqrt{x}+ (x-1)/2\sqrt{x}[/itex], [itex]x/\sqrt{x}= \sqrt{x}[/itex] so that can be written [itex]\sqrt{x}+ (1/2)\sqrt{x}- 1/2\sqrt{x}= (3/2)\sqrt{x}- (1/2)x^{-1/2}[/itex], the same as Wolfram's answer.
 
Wolfram added the fractions together by finding the LCD.
[tex]\sqrt{x} + \frac{x - 1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
The 1st "fraction" has a denominator of 1, so the LCD is 2 sqrt (x). Multiply top and bottom of the 1st "fraction" by this LCD:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x} \cdot 2\sqrt{x}}{1\cdot 2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{x - 1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
I'll let you figure out the rest.