1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the determinant using row operations

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the determinant using row operations:
    1 -2 2
    0 5 -1
    2 -4 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i took row 3 and took 2 x row 1 away from it to get :
    1 -2 2
    0 5 -1
    0 0 -3
    1 x 5 x (-3) = -15...but i multiplied a row by 2 so i should get -30 for the det right?but the answer in my book is -15..what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2
    Re: determinant

Calculating the determinant for A, a 3x3 matrix with elements:
    a b c
    d e f
    g h i

Det(A) = a(ei - fh) - b(di - fg) + c(dh-eg), by starting with row 1.

So -15 is the answer you should be getting.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
  5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Adding a row or a multiple of a row to another row doesn't change the value of the determinant. If you had replaced a row by a multiple of itself, then the determinant's value would have changed.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5

hmmm well i looked over my book, and it said if i multiply a row by k...i multiply the determinant by k...so when do we multiply the determinant by k?..cause what i did was that not multiplying a row by k(2)?

and thanks for ur help guys

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You did not replace a row by some multiple of itself; you added a multiple of a row to another row. These are different operations. On the other hand, if you had replaced row 1 by -2 times itself, and then added the first row to the third row, then your determinant would have been +30. This is not what you did though, since the first row stayed the same from start to finish.

In one of the linear algebra books I have, there is a theorem about determinants and row operations. The theorem has three parts.
    1. If you interchange two rows, the determinant of the new matrix will be -1 times the determinant of the old matrix.
    2. If you replace a row by k times itself, the determinant of the new matrix will be k times the determinant of the old matrix.
    3. If you add k times one row to another row, the determinant of the new matrix will be equal to the determinant of the old matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook