Find the determinant using row operations

In summary, when using row operations to find the determinant of a matrix, it is important to remember that adding a multiple of one row to another does not change the value of the determinant. However, replacing a row by a multiple of itself does change the determinant, as it is multiplied by the same factor.
vs55

Homework Statement

find the determinant using row operations:
1 -2 2
0 5 -1
2 -4 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i took row 3 and took 2 x row 1 away from it to get :
1 -2 2
0 5 -1
0 0 -3
1 x 5 x (-3) = -15...but i multiplied a row by 2 so i should get -30 for the det right?but the answer in my book is -15..what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Calculating the determinant for A, a 3x3 matrix with elements:
a b c
d e f
g h i

Det(A) = a(ei - fh) - b(di - fg) + c(dh-eg), by starting with row 1.

So -15 is the answer you should be getting.

Adding a row or a multiple of a row to another row doesn't change the value of the determinant. If you had replaced a row by a multiple of itself, then the determinant's value would have changed.

hmmm well i looked over my book, and it said if i multiply a row by k...i multiply the determinant by k...so when do we multiply the determinant by k?..cause what i did was that not multiplying a row by k(2)?

and thanks for ur help guys

vs55 said:
hmmm well i looked over my book, and it said if i multiply a row by k...i multiply the determinant by k...so when do we multiply the determinant by k?..cause what i did was that not multiplying a row by k(2)?

and thanks for ur help guys
You did not replace a row by some multiple of itself; you added a multiple of a row to another row. These are different operations. On the other hand, if you had replaced row 1 by -2 times itself, and then added the first row to the third row, then your determinant would have been +30. This is not what you did though, since the first row stayed the same from start to finish.

In one of the linear algebra books I have, there is a theorem about determinants and row operations. The theorem has three parts.
  1. If you interchange two rows, the determinant of the new matrix will be -1 times the determinant of the old matrix.
  2. If you replace a row by k times itself, the determinant of the new matrix will be k times the determinant of the old matrix.
  3. If you add k times one row to another row, the determinant of the new matrix will be equal to the determinant of the old matrix.

1. What is the purpose of using row operations to find the determinant?

The purpose of using row operations is to simplify the matrix and make it easier to calculate the determinant. By using row operations, we can transform the matrix into a triangular form, making it easier to compute the determinant.

2. What are the basic row operations used to find the determinant?

The basic row operations used to find the determinant are:

1. Swapping two rows
  2. Multiplying a row by a constant
  3. Adding a multiple of one row to another row

3. How do you know when to stop using row operations to find the determinant?

You know when to stop using row operations when you have transformed the matrix into an upper triangular form, with all 0's below the main diagonal. This is known as the echelon form, and the determinant can be easily calculated from this form.

4. What happens to the determinant if you multiply a row by a constant?

If you multiply a row by a constant, the determinant also gets multiplied by that constant. This is known as the scalar multiplication property of determinants.

5. Can you use any row of the matrix to perform row operations to find the determinant?

No, you can only use the first row of the matrix to perform row operations. This is because the determinant is calculated by expanding along the first row, and using other rows may result in a different value for the determinant.