Find the dielectric constant of the medium?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
pwn2d2
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two point charges a distance d apart in free space exert a force of 1.4∗10^−4 [N]. When the free space is replaced by a homogeneous dielectric medium, the force become .9∗10^−4 [N]. What is the dielectric constant ϵr of the medium?


Homework Equations


E=F/Q


The Attempt at a Solution


I have been staring at this problem for awhile. I can only think of using E=F/Q. But the problem is this only applies to free space and I do not know Q. So I am not sure where to start to compare the free space and medium.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The coulombic force in free space is k.q1.q2/r^2. In a medium, the value of k changes to k/dielectric constant. Now try to solve the question. :D
Hint : Compare the 2 values of electrostatic force.