1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the difference in entropy between a cup of water and a cup of ice

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    Find the difference in entropy between a cup of water and a cup of ice for each of these cases:
    1. both are at T=0C
    2. ice is at T=0C water is at 20C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the "water" is at 0C then it is ice right? and the difference in entropy is 0 correct?

For the second part... do you think I am supposed to find the Q for each one? since the equation for Q is Q=cmT I don't think this would make sense because the equation for entropy (S) is S=Q/T. For ice it would be 0/0 and you can't do that....

Do you think maybe he's asking for the change in entropy if you mix the two together?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    EDIT

I just remembered the equation is Q=cmdeltaT

So this must mean that he does want to know the change of entropy in the system if you mix the two together??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    First I'll address the conceptual problem:
    Ice is not simply water at T=0C, there is change in energy associated with melting/freezing. I think this might give you a bit of a start on the first part.

The next issue to address:
    We have [tex] Q = S T[/tex]
    The first question that crosses my mind is what are the units on T?
    Should it be K? C? F? R? I think the answer to this question will relieve your divide by zero error.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook