Find the distance this spot travels in one period.

• Thread starter justneedhelp81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hand creating a transverse wave on a rope. The hand completes an oscillation in 2.5s and the wave travels at 0.8 m/s with an amplitude of 0.1m, a frequency of 0.4 Hz, and a distance between adjacent crests of 2m. The question is to find the distance a blue spot travels in one period, which is found to be 0.4m. The conversation also includes a discussion on the calculation process and the correct visualization for finding the distance traveled.
justneedhelp81
Ive been trying this problem for awhile now and I seem to not get it.

A hand holding a rope moves up and down to create a transverse wave on the rope. The hand completes an oscillation in 2.5s, and the wave travels along the string at 0.8 m/s. The amplitude of the wave is 0.1m. The frequency at which the crests pass a given point in space is 0.4 Hz. The distance between the two adjacent crests on the wave is 2m.

a) There is a blue spot drawn onto the rope with a magic marker. Find the distance this spot travels in one period.

I have tried using the equation y(t)=Asin(2*pi*f*t)
which is 0.1m*sin(2*pi*.4*2.5) = .0109 m and I got this wrong. I am not sure where I did go wrong and was wondering if anyone can help me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
justneedhelp81 said:
Ive been trying this problem for awhile now and I seem to not get it.

A hand holding a rope moves up and down to create a transverse wave on the rope. The hand completes an oscillation in 2.5s, and the wave travels along the string at 0.8 m/s. The amplitude of the wave is 0.1m. The frequency at which the crests pass a given point in space is 0.4 Hz. The distance between the two adjacent crests on the wave is 2m.

a) There is a blue spot drawn onto the rope with a magic marker. Find the distance this spot travels in one period.

I have tried using the equation y(t)=Asin(2*pi*f*t)
which is 0.1m*sin(2*pi*.4*2.5) = .0109 m and I got this wrong. I am not sure where I did go wrong and was wondering if anyone can help me. Thanks.

This equation gives the vertical position and since the point is moving up and down, calculating the position will not give the distance travelled. (I could move 20 meters to the right and then come back and my position will not have changed but the distance traveled will be 40 meters).

You should just visualize it. Let's say that the point is initially at the very top. Then as the wave passes it will move down for a while and eventually start moving up again. In terms of the amplitude A, what distance does it travel in one period?

Pat

crust to crust would be 2m, the one that i calculated, (velocity/frequency)
and in one period does it travel half the distance of amplitude?

.1m x 4 = .4m, i think i get it now

1. What is the meaning of "Find the distance this spot travels in one period"?

"Find the distance this spot travels in one period" is referring to the distance that a specific spot or point moves in a circular motion over the course of one complete cycle or period.

2. How do I calculate the distance traveled by a spot in one period?

To calculate the distance traveled by a spot in one period, you will need to know the radius of the circular motion and the angle of rotation. The distance traveled in one period is equal to the circumference of the circle, which can be calculated using the formula 2πr, where r is the radius. Multiply this by the angle of rotation in radians to get the total distance traveled.

3. Is it necessary to know the radius and angle of rotation to find the distance traveled in one period?

Yes, it is necessary to know the radius and angle of rotation in order to accurately calculate the distance traveled in one period. Without this information, the distance cannot be calculated.

4. Can the distance traveled in one period be different for different spots or points in a circular motion?

Yes, the distance traveled in one period can be different for different spots or points in a circular motion. This is because the distance traveled is dependent on the radius and angle of rotation, which can vary for different spots.

5. How is the distance traveled in one period related to the speed of the spot?

The distance traveled in one period is directly related to the speed of the spot. The larger the distance traveled, the faster the spot is moving. This is because speed is defined as the distance traveled per unit of time, and in one period, the time remains constant while the distance traveled can vary depending on the speed of the spot.