1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expression y(x,t) for sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope

1. May 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Write the expression for y as a function of x and t in SI units for a sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope in the negative x direction with the following characteristics: A = 5.00 cm, λ =85.0 cm, f = 5.00 Hz, and y(0, t) = 0 at t = 0. (Use the following as necessary: x and t.)

Write the expression for y as a function of x and t for the wave in part (a) assuming y(x, 0) = 0 at the point x = 17.0 cm. (Use the following as necessary: x and t.)
    2. Relevant equations
    Conversion equations from f and lambda to k and omega
    y(x,t) = Asin(kx(+/-)wt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$5\sin \left(10\pi t+\frac{2}{85}\pi x-.4\pi \right)$$
    Why is this wrong? I don't understand. I put it into desmos, and it shows AT LEAST that at at y(17,0) = 0. Also based off the slider, it seems to be going in the negative x-direction, which is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2016 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

SI units?

4. May 14, 2016 #3
    So I'm supposed to put this in meters instead of centimeters?

I thought I tried that, but apparently I had other things wrong when I did. Thanks, I totally thought I had everything right.

5. May 14, 2016 #4
    By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you supposed to tell whether or not a wave is going along the positive or negative x-direction? I know it has to do with the signs, but it would seem intuitive that the angular frequency being negative would mean it's negative. However, it appears that both k and omega being positive means that it's going in the negative x-direction. Why?

6. May 14, 2016 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think "phase".
    At an instant, consider a point on the string. Note its phase (the argument of the sin function).
    As t increases, what must x do to keep this phase value (i.e. this disturbance) constant?
    That's where the disturbance propagates to.

Old post:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ean-in-the-wave-equation.836348/#post-5254546

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bjt6dleg5h

7. May 14, 2016 #6
    Simplified, does this mean that a minus means positive direction and a plus means negative direction?

8. May 14, 2016 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Relative-minus sign means the disturbance travels in the positive x-direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted