Expression y(x,t) for sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope

In summary: Relative-plus sign, in the negative x-direction.In summary, the conversation discusses writing an expression for a sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope in the negative x-direction with specific characteristics. The equation is given in SI units and includes the conversion equations from frequency and wavelength to wave number and angular frequency. The conversation also addresses the confusion about the direction of the wave and explains that the relative-minus sign indicates a positive direction and the relative-plus sign indicates a negative direction.
horsedeg

Homework Statement

(a) Write the expression for y as a function of x and t in SI units for a sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope in the negative x direction with the following characteristics: A = 5.00 cm, λ =85.0 cm, f = 5.00 Hz, and y(0, t) = 0 at t = 0. (Use the following as necessary: x and t.)

Write the expression for y as a function of x and t for the wave in part (a) assuming y(x, 0) = 0 at the point x = 17.0 cm. (Use the following as necessary: x and t.)

Homework Equations

Conversion equations from f and lambda to k and omega
y(x,t) = Asin(kx(+/-)wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

$$5\sin \left(10\pi t+\frac{2}{85}\pi x-.4\pi \right)$$
Why is this wrong? I don't understand. I put it into desmos, and it shows AT LEAST that at at y(17,0) = 0. Also based off the slider, it seems to be going in the negative x-direction, which is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:
SI units?
So I'm supposed to put this in meters instead of centimeters?

I thought I tried that, but apparently I had other things wrong when I did. Thanks, I totally thought I had everything right.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you supposed to tell whether or not a wave is going along the positive or negative x-direction? I know it has to do with the signs, but it would seem intuitive that the angular frequency being negative would mean it's negative. However, it appears that both k and omega being positive means that it's going in the negative x-direction. Why?

horsedeg said:
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you supposed to tell whether or not a wave is going along the positive or negative x-direction? I know it has to do with the signs, but it would seem intuitive that the angular frequency being negative would mean it's negative. However, it appears that both k and omega being positive means that it's going in the negative x-direction. Why?

Think "phase".
At an instant, consider a point on the string. Note its phase (the argument of the sin function).
As t increases, what must x do to keep this phase value (i.e. this disturbance) constant?
That's where the disturbance propagates to.

Old post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ean-in-the-wave-equation.836348/#post-5254546

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bjt6dleg5h

robphy said:
Think "phase".
At an instant, consider a point on the string. Note its phase (the argument of the sin function).
As t increases, what must x do to keep this phase value (i.e. this disturbance) constant?
That's where the disturbance propagates to.

Old post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ean-in-the-wave-equation.836348/#post-5254546

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bjt6dleg5h
Simplified, does this mean that a minus means positive direction and a plus means negative direction?

horsedeg said:
Simplified, does this mean that a minus means positive direction and a plus means negative direction?
Relative-minus sign means the disturbance travels in the positive x-direction.

What is the expression y(x,t) for a sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope?

The expression y(x,t) represents the displacement of a point on the rope at position x and time t as the wave travels through the rope. It is a function of both position and time, and is typically written as y(x,t) = Asin(kx - ωt) or y(x,t) = Acos(kx - ωt), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, and ω is the angular frequency.

How do the variables in the expression y(x,t) affect the wave?

The amplitude, A, determines the maximum displacement of the wave, while the wave number, k, determines the number of cycles per unit distance. The angular frequency, ω, determines how quickly the wave oscillates and is related to the frequency, f, by the equation ω = 2πf.

What does the term "phase" refer to in the expression y(x,t)?

The term "phase" refers to the position of a point on the wave in its cycle at a given time. In the expression y(x,t) = Asin(kx - ωt), the term kx - ωt represents the phase of the wave, and as t changes, the phase also changes.

How does the wave speed relate to the variables in the expression y(x,t)?

The wave speed, v, is related to the angular frequency and wave number by the equation v = ω/k. This means that for a given wave with a certain frequency and wavelength, the wave speed will remain constant regardless of changes in the amplitude or phase.

Can the expression y(x,t) be used for any type of wave traveling along a rope?

Yes, the expression y(x,t) is a general expression for a sinusoidal wave traveling along a rope. It can be used for any type of wave, including transverse and longitudinal waves, as long as the wave is sinusoidal in nature.