What is the distance traveled by a blue spot on a transverse wave in one period?

In summary, a hand holding a rope creates a transverse wave with an amplitude of 0.1 m and a frequency of 0.7143 Hz. The hand oscillates every 1.4 s and the wave travels along the string at a speed of 0.6 m/s. To find the distance traveled by a blue spot on the rope in one period, the equation y(t) = 0.1sin(2πft) is used, where f is the frequency. However, for part b, the full wave equation for traveling waves on a string is needed, taking into account the tension and mass density of the string. The amplitude represents the displacement from zero to the maximum point of the wave.
FlipStyle1308
A hand holding a rope moves up and down to create a transverse wave on the rope. The hand completes an oscillation in 1.4 s, and the wave travels along the string at 0.6 m/s. The amplitude of the wave is 0.1 m. The frequency at which the crests pass a given point in space is 0.7143 Hz. The distance between two adjacent crests on the wave is 0.84 m.

a. There is a blue spot drawn onto the rope with a magic marker. Find the distance thsi spot travels in one period.

b. If the mass per unit length of the string is 6 x 10-4 kg/m, what is the tension in the string?

For part a, I tried velocity/time, using both 0.6 and 0.84 as my answers, and both were wrong. I have a feeling part b depends on part a, so I will wait off on part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude of the wave is given as part of the problem statement. What does the amplitude of the wave represent? Careful of the factor of 2x, BTW.

Does amplitude represent the wavelength?

FlipStyle1308 said:
Does amplitude represent the wavelength?
No, definitely not. Your textbook or other study materials should explain what the amplitude, frequency, period, wavelength, etc. are for a wave. The simplest wave on a string would be a sinusoidal traveling wave. The equation representing a single point on the string should look like this:

y(t) = A sin(wt)

Can you check your study materials, and then tell me what A and w represent in this equation?

No. Amplitude and wavelength are independent characteristics of a wave. (In this case they are perpendicular.)

y(t) = 0.1 sin(0.84t) ?

FlipStyle1308 said:
y(t) = 0.1 sin(0.84t) ?
You got the amplitude part correct (A = 0.1m), but w (omega) is not the wavelength. Omega is the angular frequency -- a sine wave oscillates through 2Pi radians every period. You are told that the frequency is one cycle every 0.7143 seconds. Does your text show you how to arrange the angular frequency and time in the argument to the sin() function?

I googled sine wave oscillation string tutorial, and got some good hits. This is the second one, and I think it will help you:

http://www2.kutl.kyushu-u.ac.jp/seminar/MicroWorld2_E/2Part1_E/2P12_E/wave_E.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I couldn't even find the equation you gave me in the book, or at least in the chapter everything else is in!

Hmm...so would it be y(t) = 0.1 sin(2 x pi x 0.7143) = 7.83 x 10-3 ?

Rather than get hung up trying to understand that sine wave equation, try answering part a by thinking what that piece of rope (the blue spot) is doing. How is it moving? How far does it move? (You do need to understand amplitude and period. That must be in your book.)

Okay I just read over that part, but don't understand how to incorporate what I read into this problem.

You forgot to multiply by time in the argument to the sin() function, but otherwise you got it correct for the vertical movement versus time for a single spot on the string:

[tex]y(t) = 0.1 sin (2 \pi ft)[/tex]

where:
A = 0.1m
f = frequency = [tex]\frac{\omega}{2\pi}[/tex] = 0.7143Hz

Now for part b, you are going to need to use the full wave equation for traveling waves on a string. For part a you only needed to think about how a single point moves up and down sinusoidally with time. The propagation of a wave down a string involves how much tension there is in the string and the mass density of the string, as well as the other stuff from part a.

EDIT -- Note that the A number is the displacement from zero up to maximum. What is then the overall peak-to-peak amplitude of the displacement?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
You forgot to multiply by time in the argument to the sin() function, but otherwise you got it correct for the vertical movement versus time for a single spot on the string:

[tex]y(t) = 0.1 sin (2 \pi ft)[/tex]

where:
A = 0.1m
f = frequency = [tex]frac{\omega}{2\pi}[/tex] = 0.7143Hz

Now for part b, you are going to need to use the full wave equation for traveling waves on a string. For part a you only needed to think about how a single point moves up and down sinusoidally with time. The propagation of a wave down a string involves how much tension there is in the string and the mass density of the string, as well as the other stuff from part a.

So for part a, I multiply what I got by 1.4s?

Um no. Also note the edits that I just did to my previous post. What does vertical amplitude mean?

Vertical amplitude is the distance up, so the total distance for one oscillation is 0.4 m?

Related to What is the distance traveled by a blue spot on a transverse wave in one period?

What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave where the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicularly to the direction of the wave's propagation.

What is an example of a transverse wave?

An example of a transverse wave is a water wave, where the particles of water move up and down while the wave moves horizontally.

What is the difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave has particles that vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while a longitudinal wave has particles that vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave.

How do you calculate the speed of a transverse wave?

The speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency.

What are some applications of transverse waves?

Transverse waves have many practical applications, including communication through radio and television signals, medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound, and seismic waves used to detect earthquakes.