1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the eccentricity of this ellipse

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The tangent at any point P of a circle meets the tangent at a fixed point A in T, and T is joined to B, the other end of diameter through A. Prove that the locus of point of intersection of AP and BT is an ellipse whose eccentricity is [itex] 1/ \sqrt{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The very first thing I do is assume the equation of a circle. The next thing is to write the equations for tangents and solve them to get T. But it is getting complicated as nothing is known to me. So there are a number of variables which can't be eliminated. Any other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi utkarshakash! :smile:
    show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

alternatively, since the eccentricity is 1/√2, the minor axis must be 1/√2 time the major axis …

so have you tried squashing the whole diagram by 1/√2 (along AB), so that the the final result is a circle? :wink:

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

For the sake of simplicity, let the equation of the circle be [itex]x^2 + y^2 = c^2 [/itex].

Let A = (x1,y1) and P = (x2,y2)

Equation of tangent at P
    [itex] xx_2 + yy_2 - c^2 = 0[/itex]
    Equation of tangent at A
    [itex] xx_1 + yy_1 -c^2 = 0[/itex]

When I solve these two equations I get

[itex] x = \dfrac{c^2 (y_2 - y_1)}{x_1y_2-x_2y_1} \\

y = \dfrac{c^2 (x_1 - x_2)}{x_1y_2-x_2y_1}[/itex]

OMG It looks so dangerous! I don't want to proceed ahead as the calculation will be complex and rigorous.

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no!

A is fixed, so you can simplify by letting A = (c,0) :wink:

(and P = (ccosθ,csinθ) )

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. Dec 15, 2012 #5

utkarshakash

Gold Member

That did simplify the expression to a large extent. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook