Find the eigenvalues of a given matrix

In summary, the 3x3 Matrix A=[33, -12, -70; 0, 1, 0; 14, -6, -30] has three distinct eigenvalues, λ1=-2, λ2=1, and λ3=5. To find these eigenvalues, we can use the equation det(A-λI)=0, where I denotes the appropriate identity matrix. By using the rational roots theorem and dividing by the roots that we find, we can solve for the remaining eigenvalues and get the correct answer. This method can also be applied to solve cubic equations.
blouqu6
1. The 3x3 Matrix A=[33, -12, -70; 0, 1, 0; 14, -6, -30] has three distinct eigenvalues, λ123.
Find each eigenvalue.2. det(A-λI)=0 where I denotes the appropriate identity matrix (3x3 in this case)3. Here's my attempt:

--> det([33, -12, -70; 0, 1, 0; 14, -6, -30]-λ[1, 0, 0; 0, 1, 0; 0, 0, 1])=0

--> det([33-λ, -12, -70; 0, 1-λ, 0; 14, -6, -30-λ]=0

--> -λ3+4λ2+7λ-10=0

And this is where I'm not exactly sure what to do. I don't believe I can effectively use grouping to solve for λ. Any help here would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blouqu6 said:
1. The 3x3 Matrix A=[33, -12, -70; 0, 1, 0; 14, -6, -30] has three distinct eigenvalues, λ123.
Find each eigenvalue.2. det(A-λI)=0 where I denotes the appropriate identity matrix (3x3 in this case)3. Here's my attempt:

--> det([33, -12, -70; 0, 1, 0; 14, -6, -30]-λ[1, 0, 0; 0, 1, 0; 0, 0, 1])=0

--> det([33-λ, -12, -70; 0, 1-λ, 0; 14, -6, -30-λ]=0

--> -λ3+4λ2+7λ-10=0

And this is where I'm not exactly sure what to do. I don't believe I can effectively use grouping to solve for λ. Any help here would be appreciated.

The rational roots theorem. Any possible rational root must divide 10. Can you guess one? Once you find a root r, divide by λ-r. Now you have a quadratic.

Ahh yes

And that did it. Thanks man, I ended up with λ1=-2,λ2=1, and λ3=5, which is the correct answer. Really appreciate the help.

blouqu6 said:
And that did it. Thanks man, I ended up with λ1=-2,λ2=1, and λ3=5, which is the correct answer. Really appreciate the help.

You are welcome. If they give you a cubic to solve without using a computing device, it will likely have one easy root. If you find that you are home free.

1. What are eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are a special set of numbers that are associated with a square matrix. They are found by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix, and are used to understand how the matrix transforms a vector.

2. Why are eigenvalues important?

Eigenvalues are important because they provide information about the behavior of a matrix. They can tell us about the stability of a system, the direction of transformation, and the rate of change in a system.

3. How do you find eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, we first need to calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, we solve the characteristic equation by setting the determinant equal to 0 and solving for the variable (usually denoted as lambda). The resulting values of lambda are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. In fact, a square matrix will have the same number of eigenvalues as its dimensions. For example, a 3x3 matrix will have 3 eigenvalues.

5. What is the significance of the eigenvector associated with an eigenvalue?

Eigenvectors are associated with eigenvalues and represent the direction of transformation of the matrix. They are important because they can tell us if a system is stable or unstable, and how it will behave under different conditions.