1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the eigenvalues of a matrix

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i'm trying to find the eigenvalues of a matrix and i have the solution but i don't understand how it gets from the step 1 to step 2??? could someone please explain.

let # = lambda

Step 1: (1-#)[(2-#)(-1-#)+1]+[3(-1-#)+2]+4[3-2(2-#)] = 0
    Step 2: (1-#)(#+2)(#-3) = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i jst kept expanding the other half of the equation with my final result bein
    useless

(1-#)(#^2 -#-1)+(5#-5) = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you expand the first equation completely you get -L^3+2*L^2+5*L-6=0 (L=lambda). Now you just want to factor this polynomial. Probably the easiest way to do this is to look for zeros of the polynomial. Eg L=1 is a zero so L-1 is a root (we also use the clue that if p/q is a rational root the p divides the constant polynomial coefficient and q divides the highest power coefficient). Once you found one root divide it out and try to factor what's left. It's pretty standard stuff.

4. Jun 29, 2007 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

If the coefficient of the variable with the highest power is one:
    [tex] x^n +a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + ... + a_1 x + a_0 [/tex]
    then if the polynomial has a integer root then the last coefficient (a_0) is a multiple of the root. For example, given the polynomial:
    [tex] x^2 + 5x + 6 [/tex]
    the possible integer roots are +/-1 , +/-2, +/-3 and +/-6
    a quick check shows that 2 and 3 are roots so the polynomial is equal to
    [tex] (x-3)(x-2) [/tex]
    This is especially useful for finding e-values from the e-polynomial since in most problems the e-values are integers and the coefficient of x^n is always 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?