Find the electric dipole moment for a water molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation for a continuous charge distribution and how it may need to be adjusted for a discrete charge distribution in a given exercise. The possibility of modeling a water molecule as a linear molecule or using an actual model and considering dipole moments as vectors is also mentioned. Additionally, it is noted that the integral in question can be converted into a sum.
Elder1994
Homework Statement
Find the electric dipolar moment for a water molecule using the definition of the dipolar moment, after that find the electric field needed to move this molecule.
Relevant Equations
p = ∫ r' ρ(r') dV'
The equation that we saw in class is for a continuous charge distribution, I think that for this exercise I need to treat the system as a discrete charge distribution but I'm not sure. Also, I don't know how I can calculate the intensity of the electric field needed to move this charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how you model a water molecule. You may model it a linear molecule and apply defination(Crudest case) or you may go and use actual model of molecule and using the fact that dipole moments are vectors.

To answer your first question,the integral can be easily converted into sum:

$$\mu= \sum_{I} q_i r_i \hat r$$

Where ##r_i\text{'s}## are the position vectors from a suitable fixed origin.

What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule or system. It is represented as a vector and is typically measured in units of Debye (D).

Why is it important to find the electric dipole moment for a water molecule?

The electric dipole moment for a water molecule is important because it helps us understand the polarity and overall structure of the molecule. It is also crucial in predicting the molecule's behavior in an electric field and in many chemical reactions.

How is the electric dipole moment for a water molecule calculated?

The electric dipole moment for a water molecule is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charges on the atoms (in units of Coulombs) by the distance between them (in units of meters). This is represented by the equation μ = Q x d, where μ is the dipole moment, Q is the charge, and d is the distance.

What is the value of the electric dipole moment for a water molecule?

The electric dipole moment for a water molecule is approximately 1.85 Debye (D). This value can vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature and pressure, but it is generally accepted to be around 1.85 D.

How does the electric dipole moment for a water molecule affect its physical properties?

The electric dipole moment for a water molecule contributes to its high polarity, which makes it an excellent solvent and allows it to form hydrogen bonds with other polar molecules. It also affects its boiling point, surface tension, and other physical properties.