Find the electric field from polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss's Law to solve for the electric field in a region with varying polarization ##\mathbf{P}##. The solution shows the correct result, but there is ambiguity in the notation used for ##\mathbf{P}##.
goohu
Homework Statement
See picture.
Relevant Equations
Gauss law for polarizaton : ## -Q = \int P dA ## , dA = element of area
Untitled.png

Attempt at solution:
a) Since I need help with b) this section can be skipped. Results :
##ρ_{psa} = -Pa ##
##ρ_{psb} = Pb ##
##ρ_{p} = \frac {-1}{R^2} \frac {∂(R^2PR)}{∂R} = -3P ##

b) This is where I am unsure (first time using gauss law for P) so I need some confirmation here:
## \int E ⋅ ds = \frac {Q} {ε_0} = \frac {1} {ε_0} \int -P dA ##

This will become:
## E(R) 4πR^2 = -\frac {1} {ε_0} PR4πR^2 ##

For 0<R<a : E(R) = 0
For a<R<b : ## E(R) = -\frac {1} {ε_0} PR ##
For b<R : E(R) = 0

The problem here is the solution show : For a<R<b : ## E(R) = -\frac {1} {ε_0} P ##
Did I go wrong somewhere or is this a typo in the solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your result but depends what is that P that appears in the solution key. Is it the vector ##\mathbf{P}=PR\mathbf{a_R}## or the constant ##P##. I think the solution key means the vector ##\mathbf{P}##.

Likes goohu

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is a phenomenon in which the electric field of a light wave oscillates in a specific direction. This can occur when light passes through certain materials, such as crystals or filters.

2. How does polarization affect the electric field?

Polarization can change the direction and strength of the electric field. When light passes through a polarizing material, only the electric field in a specific direction is allowed to pass through, while the other directions are blocked.

3. How do you find the electric field from polarization?

To find the electric field from polarization, you need to know the direction and strength of the polarized light. You can use mathematical equations, such as the Jones calculus or the Stokes parameters, to calculate the electric field.

4. What factors can affect the electric field from polarization?

The electric field from polarization can be affected by the material through which the light passes, the angle at which the light enters the material, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the orientation of the polarizing material can also impact the electric field.

5. Why is it important to find the electric field from polarization?

Understanding the electric field from polarization can help in various fields, such as optics, telecommunications, and materials science. It allows us to control and manipulate light for various applications, such as creating polarized sunglasses or improving the resolution of microscopes.