Find the equation of the curve

• Thread starter steven10137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a curve that passes through two points and has a given tangent and gradient function. The final answer is y=0.5x^2+x+3/2, with the process of finding it being discussed and checked for accuracy.
steven10137

Homework Statement

The tangent to the curve [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] at the point (0,1) has equation [tex]y=x+1[/tex]. The gradient function of the curve is given by [tex]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = ax + b [/tex]. Find the equation of the curve given that it also passes through the point (1,3)

2. The attempt at a solution
Well we have the curve y=f(x) which I am assuming to be a quadratic or something of the like, and at the point (0,1) it has the tangent equation [tex]y=x+1[/tex].
The gradient function dy/dx, at the point (0,1):
[tex]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = ax + b [/tex]

[tex]\therefore[/tex] [tex]1 = a(0) + b[/tex]
hence b=1

Can we now solve for 'a' by saying that:
[tex]ax+1 = x+1[/tex]
??
from that a=1 and [tex]y=x+1[/tex] as before.
But the integral of [tex]y=x+1[/tex] is [tex]y=1/2 x^2 +x + C[/tex]
@ (1,3)
c=1/2
[tex]y=1/2 x^2 +x + 1/2[/tex]

The answer is:
[tex]y=1/2 x^2 +x + 1[/tex]
Where is my mistake?!?

thanks
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
the ans is clearly wrong for y = 0.5 x^2 + x +1
at (1,3) you get: 3 = 0.5 + 1 + 1 which is NOT equal.
in fact your calc was wrong and it should be 3/2 and not 1/2

ok sorry, just wrote that in wrong lol
[tex] y = 0.5 x^2 + x + 3/2 [/tex]
the answer is clearly wrong then I take it?

now that you have the answer, you can now plug in back into all the conditions and see if they all agree. If so, you ans must be allowed. the only question is whether this is the unique soln. but I guess you are not interest in that sort of thing and i don't believe there could be other answers either.

Yep putting it all back in, the answer stands ...

thanks mjsd for your help :D

1. What is the equation of a curve?

The equation of a curve is a mathematical representation of a curve on a graph. It describes the relationship between the x and y coordinates of points on the curve.

2. How do I find the equation of a curve?

To find the equation of a curve, you will need to have a set of points on the curve. Then, you can use a mathematical method such as the slope-intercept form or the point-slope form to determine the equation.

3. What information do I need to find the equation of a curve?

To find the equation of a curve, you will need either a set of points on the curve or the slope and y-intercept of the line tangent to the curve at a specific point.

4. Can the equation of a curve be found algebraically?

Yes, the equation of a curve can be found algebraically using mathematical methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. However, the complexity of the curve may affect the difficulty of finding the equation algebraically.

5. Can I use technology to find the equation of a curve?

Yes, there are many graphing calculators and software programs that can help you find the equation of a curve. These tools use algorithms and computational methods to determine the equation based on the given points or slope and y-intercept.