Find the equation of the curve

• Thread starter aerin8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the given sequence of numbers follows a certain pattern with constant second differences. This suggests that the curve could be a parabola or could be modeled using difference equations. To find the equation of the curve, further analysis and calculations would be needed.
aerin8

Homework Statement

From the given sequence of numbers (11.25, 10, 9.25, 9, 9.25, 10, 11.25, 13, 15.25, 18 ...)
A) Graph the sequence
B) Find the equation of the curve
C) Determine the 100th term of the sequence

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to graph the sequence by setting the given numbers as y coordinates and their order as x coordinate but beyond there I'm stuck. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
aerin8 said:

Homework Statement

From the given sequence of numbers (11.25, 10, 9.25, 9, 9.25, 10, 11.25, 13, 15.25, 18 ...)
A) Graph the sequence
B) Find the equation of the curve
C) Determine the 100th term of the sequence

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to graph the sequence by setting the given numbers as y coordinates and their order as x coordinate but beyond there I'm stuck. Help please!
There is a certain pattern that jumps out here. Look at the difference of successive terms in this sequence.

Also, the second differences are constant.

I can see the pattern but I don't know how to apply it in the equation of the curve. Is there a formula I can plug the data into to find the equation?

is the curve the same thing as a parabola?

The curve might be a parabola. If so, you know where the vertex is.

In case it's not a parabola, there's an area of mathematics called Difference Equations (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrence_relation) that might be helpful. See especially the section titled "Relationship to difference equations narrowly defined."

1. What is the purpose of finding the equation of a curve?

Finding the equation of a curve allows us to represent the relationship between two variables in a graphical form. This can help us understand the behavior of the variables and make predictions about future data points.

2. How do you find the equation of a curve?

The process of finding the equation of a curve depends on the type of curve. For linear curves, we can use the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) or the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)). For nonlinear curves, we may need to use calculus or statistical methods to find the equation.

3. What information do you need to find the equation of a curve?

To find the equation of a curve, we need at least two data points or two pieces of information about the curve, such as the slope and y-intercept for a linear curve. The more data points or information we have, the more accurate the equation will be.

4. Can you find the equation of any curve?

In theory, yes, we can find the equation of any curve. However, for some complex curves, the equation may be very difficult or impossible to find analytically. In these cases, we can use numerical methods or approximation techniques to estimate the equation.

5. What are the practical applications of finding the equation of a curve?

The ability to find the equation of a curve has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. It can help us model and analyze real-world phenomena, make predictions, and optimize processes and systems.