1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the exact logarithmic form of y at A where y= -x + tanh4x is

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{3} - ln(2+\sqrt{3})}{4}[/tex]

Given that the x co-ordinate is [tex]ln(2+ \sqrt{3})[/tex] which I worked out in the first part of this qusetion given that at A there is a maximum turning point (so maximum turning point means dy/dx = 0), but I'm not sure that helps in this part of the question

y= -x + tanh4x

i tried [tex]y = -ln(2+ \sqrt{3}) + tanh4.ln(2+ \sqrt{3})[/tex] but cant really see how that simplifies :\

Thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]tanh(4x)= \frac{e^{4x}- e^{-4x}}{e^{4x}+ e^{-4x}}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]tanh(4(2+ \sqrt{3}))= \frac{e^{8+ 4\sqrt{3}}- e^{-8-4\sqrt{3}}}{e^{-2-\sqrt{3}}+e^{-2-\sqrt{3}}}[/tex]
    Is that better?

4. May 23, 2009 #3
    sorry hall of ivy I missed out a ln in my original latex post. However, I will try that method, but putting a ln in front of it (to cancel out e's). Hopefully that will get me somewhere

5. May 23, 2009 #4
    nope that gives me (2(2+sqrt(3))^4)/ 0 which cannot be :\

6. May 23, 2009 #5
    also did you make a mistake on the second line of your second fraction... shouldn't it be
    [tex]
    tanh(4(2+ \sqrt{3}))= \frac{e^{8+ 4\sqrt{3}}- e^{-8-4\sqrt{3}}}{e^{8+ 4\sqrt{3}}+ e^{-8-4\sqrt{3}}}[/tex]
    :P

7. May 23, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

What is [itex]e^{\ln a}, e^{-\ln a}[/itex]?

8. May 24, 2009 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

e and ln are inverses of each other, just like squaring and square-rooting.

Therefore,

[tex]e^{lna}=a[/tex]

and

[tex]e^{-lna}=(e^{lna})^{-1}=a^{-1}=\frac{1}{a}[/tex]

Note that if a is positive, [tex]e^{ln(-a)}\neq -a[/tex] simply because the log of a negative doesn't exist.

9. May 24, 2009 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yes.

Then I don't understand how you got a 0 in the denominator, because [itex]\exp(\ln[(2+\sqrt{3})^4])=(2+\sqrt{3})^4, \; \exp(-\ln[(2+\sqrt{3})]^4)=1/(2+\sqrt{3})^4[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook